Arnel misses debut chance; Kiwis announce mostly unchanged squad for second testMarch 23rd, 2009 - 1:32 pm ICT by ANI
Wellington, Mar 23 (ANI): An untimely injury to New Zealand seamer Brent Arnel has dashed his hopes of a Test cricket debut this week against India.
Arnel, who was a surprise call-up for the first Test squad before being released to play for the Knights, bowled only 1.4 overs in his sides first innings against Auckland before suffering a side strain that rules him out of contention for New Zealand.
As a result Arnels name was missing from the Black Caps squad named today. Jacob Orams name was also missing as selectors decided against recalling the all rounder as he recovers from an achilles tendon strain, the Waikato Times reported.
Oram, who made himself unavailable for the first Test, has been involved in the State Championship for Central Districts but selection panel convener Glenn Turner said he was not considered.
Captain Daniel Vettori indicated that he would welcome Oram back in the aftermath on Indias 10-wicket win at Seddon Park on Saturday, but Turner said he was not yet at full match fitness.
Hes only had a couple of days in the domestic competition, and after talking with him, we agree he”d benefit from more game time to get up to the fitness level needed for the test side, Turner said.
Iain OBrien, who suffered a side strain while bowling in Indias first innings, and batsman Daniel Flynn (bruised hand) will continue to be monitored, although they are expected to be available for selection.
There were no plans to bring in additional players as cover. Wellington spinner Jeetan Patel rejoins the squad after also being released to play in the State Championship.
New Zealand Squad: Daniel Vettori (captain), Tim McIntosh, Martin Guptill, Daniel Flynn, Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder, James Franklin, Brendon McCullum, Kyle Mills, Iain O”Brien, Chris Martin, Jeetan Patel. (ANI)
- Jamie How called as cover for Daniel Flynn - Mar 24, 2009
- New Zealand include seven rookies among World Cup probables - Dec 22, 2010
- Tuffey replaces injured McKay in New Zealand test squad - Jan 05, 2011
- Franklin joins New Zealand squad for Hamilton Test - Mar 25, 2010
- Fast bowler Southee included in New Zealand squad - Mar 31, 2009
- James Franklin left out of New Zealand Cricket contract - Jul 01, 2011
- New Zealand names two uncapped players for India Tests - Oct 24, 2010
- New Zealand drops Fulton for Napier Test - Dec 07, 2009
- Black Caps select pace bowler Arnel for first Test against India - Mar 12, 2009
- New Zealand opt to bat against India - Nov 12, 2010
- New Zealand choose to bat against India - Aug 31, 2012
- Kiwi pacer Arnel all set to debut against Australia - Mar 18, 2010
- New Zealand announces two new Test caps for India tour - Oct 24, 2010
- India opt to bat against New Zealand - Aug 23, 2012
- Final Scoreboard: India vs New Zealand, 1st Test - Aug 26, 2012
Tags: achilles tendon, black caps, brendon mccullum, captain daniel, captain tim, cricket debut, daniel vettori, domestic competition, glenn turner, james franklin, kyle mills, orams, ross taylor, tendon strain, test cricket, test side, test squad, tim mcintosh, unchanged squad, waikato times