Army man beats world champion Gagan Narang to win shooting goldJanuary 7th, 2009 - 4:28 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Jan 7 (ANI): Naib Subedar Surendra Singh Rathod of the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) bagged the first individual gold medal at the 52nd National Shooting Championship by defeating his nearest rival Gagan Narang, who also happens to be the current 10 Metre Air Rifle world record holder.
Rathod scored a card of 592/600 and scored 102.7/109 in the finals to beat Narang at the championship being held at Thodupuzha Kerala from January 4-17.
Gagan Narang eventually finished with a bronze medal scoring 591 /600 and 100.5/109 in the finals. Joydeep Karmokar of the Railways with a total score of 693.0 won the silver medal.
The AMU Team in the same event also bagged the team gold medal with a collective score 1763/1800. The Team comprised of Rathod (592), Havaldar Sushil Ghaley (586) and Havaldar Hariom Singh (585).
The first event was 50 Metre Free Rifle Prone Posn (Men) wherein two individuals of the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) made it to the finals. (ANI)
- Asian Games: India finish fifth in 50m rifle prone - Nov 15, 2010
- Asian Games: Indian shooters disappoint in 50m prone team event (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- Asian Games: Men's snooker team in final, shooters disappoint (Afternoon Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- Olympic shooting: Bindra fails to qualify, Narang makes final - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Pistol shooter Vijay Kumar wins silver; India gets second medal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Junior world champion Noria replaces Rathore in CWG shooting squad - Sep 01, 2010
- Gagan blames his rifle for missing fifth CWG gold - Oct 13, 2010
- Olympic: Narang misses 50m rifle prone qualification, Karmakar in - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Selectors have to take a call on shooter Rathore - Feb 18, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Narang to take stance amid high expectations - Aug 02, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Narang, Rajput fail to qualify - Aug 06, 2012
- PM congratulates Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- You make us proud: Sachin lavishes praise on Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: air rifle, amu, army man, army marksmanship unit, bronze medal, free rifle, gagan, hariom, jan 7, january 4, kerala, naib, national shooting, New Delhi, railways, silver medal, surendra singh, team gold medal, world champion, world record holder