Arjun Rao in national team for archery world cupsApril 12th, 2009 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 11 (IANS) Sub-junior national runner-up Arjun Rao of Jharkhand was the surprise qualifier in the men’s compound bow division to make it to the Indian team for the second and third archery World Cups.
The 16-year-old earned his maiden senior international assignment with the Indian team at the expense of M. Chinglensana Luwang by finishing fourth overall in the two-day selection trials that ended at the Sports Authority of India (SAI) Eastern Centre Saturday.
The women’s contingent will be named Sunday.
The second World Cup will be held at Porec (Croatia) from May 4 to 9, and the third World Cup at Antalya (Turkey) from June 2 to 7.
Archery Association of India (AAI) secretary general Paresh Nath Mukherjee also announced the men’s squads for the second Asian Grand Prix to be held at Tehran from May 18 to 23. Archers who finished between fifth and eighth positions during the trials have been accommodated in the Tehran-bound sides.
World Cup contingent:
Recurve: Rahul Banerjee (Steel Plant), Mangal Singh (Railways), Vishwash (Services) and Jayanta Talukdar (Steel Plant)
Compound: C. Srither (Services), Chungda Sherpa (Services), Kh. Ratan Singh (Services) and Arjun Rao (Jharkhand).
2nd Asian Grand Prix squads:
Recurve: Kapil (Chandigarh), Tarundeep Rai (Services), Muni Ram Tirkey (Services) and K. Shivshankar (Services).
Compound: L. Haridas (Services), M. Chinglensana Luwang (Services), Amrinder Singh (Punjab) and Arun Sharma (Services).
- Archer Rao surprise inclusion in World Cup squad - Apr 12, 2009
- Four changes in India's archery squad - May 12, 2009
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Indian archery squad named for World Cups - Jul 13, 2011
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- Indian archery team for Asian meets announced - Oct 16, 2009
- Indians dominate Asian Grand Prix archery qualifying round - May 22, 2009
- Indian compound squad named for World Archery Championship - Jul 31, 2009
- India to send 16 archers for first Asian Grand Prix - Jan 26, 2010
- Asian Grand Prix: Five Indian archers in medal race - May 24, 2009
- Malhotra congratulates archery contingent for World Cup performance - Sep 10, 2011
- Chekrovolu, Jayalakshmi make the cut for World Cup - Apr 12, 2009
- Deepika redeems herself in Junior Archery - Dec 30, 2010
- Nine nations to clash in Asian Archery Grand Prix - Sep 14, 2009
- Indian woman recurve archers shine in Asian Grand Prix - Sep 18, 2009
Tags: aai, antalya turkey, archers, archery association, archery world, arun sharma, chandigarh, compound bow, haridas, international assignment, nath, paresh, plant compound, rao, ratan singh, selection trials, sports authority, steel plant, tirkey, world cups