Argentinians want Maradona’s head - even if team qualifiesOctober 10th, 2009 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, Oct 10 (DPA) The beleaguered national football coach Diego Maradona should take his hat and leave - even if the team qualifies for the 2010 World Cup, according to an opinion poll released Friday.
The poll was conducted on the internet by the country’s major sports publication, Ole, and was not a representative sampling.
Nearly 64 per cent of the 88,000 participants voted against the 48-year-old football hero who is struggling as the national coach.
Only 36.1 per cent remained loyal to the 1986 world champion player.
Argentina has lost a series of qualification matches and is at risk of not playing in the World Cup for the first time since 1970.
- Jubilant reception for Maradona, Messi in Buenos Aires - Jul 05, 2010
- Maradona may stay on as Argentina coach - Jul 21, 2010
- Maradona may be in charge of Argentina till 2014 - Jul 15, 2010
- AFA head: Maradona could eventually return as national coach - Aug 04, 2010
- Maradona's son to play in Argentine fourth division - Aug 17, 2012
- Maradona appointed Dubai's sports ambassador - Sep 02, 2012
- Argentina face Paraguay in World Cup qualifier - Sep 07, 2012
- Argentina holds down Messi: Maradona still better - Mar 24, 2010
- Maradona hits back, says he was cheated and lied to - Jul 29, 2010
- Annoyed Maradona could resign as national coach - Oct 07, 2009
- History collides for Argentina (Group B team profile) - May 27, 2010
- Great chance for Higuain to surpass El Diego - Jun 28, 2010
- The God bites the dust - Jul 04, 2010
- Basile is Club de Avellaneda boss for 4th time - Dec 27, 2011
- Maradona hints stepping down after German knock-out punch - Jul 04, 2010
Tags: argentina, diego maradona, football coach, football hero, major sports, national coach, national football, opinion poll, participants, representative sampling, risk, sports publication, world champion, world cup