Argentinean football player shot in carjackingJune 14th, 2012 - 3:54 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, June 14 (IANS) An Argentine football player, Mariano Campodonico, was shot in the leg when two assailants forced him and his two children out of the car and drove away to Buzarco city, 30 kilometers from the capital here.
Campodonico, 38, an experienced center forward for Argentina’ s second-division Temperley Club team and has also played in Venezuela, Ecuador, Mexico and Paraguay, was wounded in his left knee after one of the carjackers shot at the ground and the bullet ricocheted, Xinhua reported Wednesday.
The carjacking occurred Monday night as Campodonico was picking up one of his children from a birthday party.
“When I was getting my daughter inside the car, I heard two people yell, telling me to stand still and give them the car keys,” Campodonico told the daily Cronica. “I turned around and told them to let me get my kids out of the car and then they could have it.”
“The thieves then pointed a 9-millimeter gun at me (and) asked me to give them my wallet, which was inside the car,” said Campodonico, adding he also gave them some money he had in his pocket.
Though he didn’t try to resist the robbery, the criminals apparently fired a parting shot in an attempt to intimidate him, Campodonico said.
“It was a horrible moment, especially because I was with my kids,” he added.
Campodonico made headlines in 2006 when he was sentenced to eight days in jail after making obscene on-field gestures at a rival team.
- Mariano Rivera hints that 2012 could be his last season - Feb 22, 2012
- Brit-Indian carjack husband rejects accusations of role in wife's murder - Nov 25, 2010
- 49 dead, 600 injured in railway accident in Argentina - Feb 23, 2012
- I didn't kill her, says husband of slain Indian-origin woman - Nov 23, 2010
- Three bulls escape from Holt Arena in Pocatello - Apr 08, 2011
- Toughest to shoot with kids, animals: Big B (Movie Snippets) - Sep 27, 2011
- Indian-origin man linked to another murder in South Africa - Dec 13, 2010
- Jaite appointed as Argentina's captain for Davis Cup - Dec 17, 2011
- Argentina railway accident toll climbs to 50 - Feb 24, 2012
- Former Paraguay striker Cabanas returns to football - Apr 16, 2012
- Indian conquers the Andes in Latin America (With Image) - Mar 27, 2012
- Britain doesn't know who it is dealing with: Ecuador - Aug 19, 2012
- You all must die, screamed Norway gunman - Jul 24, 2011
- US golfer shoots world record 16 on par-four 9th hole at Valero Texas Open - Apr 16, 2011
- Pitroda creation creates waves in mobile commerce market - Aug 06, 2011
Tags: argentine football, assailants, birthday party, car keys, cronica, eight days, football player, gestures, horrible moment, kilometers, left knee, mariano campodonico, millimeter gun, monday night, parting shot, rival team, robbery, thieves, wallet, xinhua