Argentina football coach steps down after loss to ChileOctober 17th, 2008 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, Oct 17 (DPA) Argentina’s national coach Alfio Basile has stepped down a day after after the 0-1 humiliation by Chile in a World Cup qualifying match.The two-time World Champion turned in a sad performance in the away-game in Chile on Wednesday, following a series of weak turn-outs in the previous qualification games.
For Argentina, like Brazil, uncertainty was growing over qualifying for the World Cup in South Africa in 2010.
Basile handed in his letter to the national body AFA.
In Wednesday’s game, Chile had all the clear scoring chances, and Argentina played poorly despite fielding superstars Lionel Messi and Sergio Aguero.
With a tireless, well-rounded team effort and great midfield work from Matias Fernandez, Chile at all times appeared in command.
“They were better than us, and they beat us deservedly,” Argentine coach Alfio Basile said.
He noted that “everything worked out” for Chile, and he could only go “weep in church” about the poor performance.
Chilean keeper Claudio Bravo acknowledged the importance of beating a global football giant like Argentina but emphasised the practical significance of “three points that help you get to a World Cup”.
- Sanchez's injury could hurt Chile in World Cup qualifiers - Sep 13, 2011
- Paraguay keep World Cup course; Brazil, Argentina struggle - Oct 16, 2008
- Argentina, Ecuador win opening FIFA World Cup qualifiers - Oct 08, 2011
- I would like to coach Argentina, says Maradona (Lead) - Oct 18, 2008
- Basile is Club de Avellaneda boss for 4th time - Dec 27, 2011
- Argentina face Paraguay in World Cup qualifier - Sep 07, 2012
- Jubilant reception for Maradona, Messi in Buenos Aires - Jul 05, 2010
- Messi justifies resignation of Argentina coach - Oct 18, 2008
- Maradona to have fresh contract talks with Argentine Football Association chief - Jul 26, 2010
- Argentina draws with leader Paraguay, Uruguay gets key win - Sep 07, 2008
- AFA head: Maradona could eventually return as national coach - Aug 04, 2010
- Argentina crush world champs Spain 4-1 - Sep 08, 2010
- Argentina win, Paraguay lead South American World Cup qualifiers - Oct 12, 2008
- Messi to captain strong Argentina side in Kolkata - Aug 19, 2011
- All set for Messi magic Friday - Sep 01, 2011
Tags: alfio basile, argentina football, claudio bravo, lionel messi and sergio aguero, matias fernandez, national coach, practical significance, qualifying for the world cup, sad performance, time world champion