Argentina book place in Davis Cup semifinalsApril 9th, 2012 - 6:26 pm ICT by IANS
Buenos Aires, April 9 (IANS) Four-time Davis Cup runners-up Argentina have entered the semifinals of the 2012 edition, beating Croatia 4-1 at home.
Argentina’s Juan Martin del Potro, ranked 10th in the world, crushed Croatia’s Marin Cilic, ranked 23rd, 6-1, 6-2 and 6-1 at Parque Roca’s outdoor clay courts in Buenos Aires to end the three-day quarterfinal Sunday.
The duel began Friday at Mary Teran de Weiss stadium, which was packed with 14,500 spectators on each of the three days, Xinhua reported.
In the men’s singles, Juan Monaco (ranked 16th) beat Antonio Veic (150) 6-1, 6-1.
Saturday, Cilic beat David Nalbandian (50) 5-7, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (2) and 6-3 in a match that lasted more than five hours.
In the following match, Del Potro, still suffering from a stomach ailment, beat Ivo Karlovic (52) 6-2, 7-6 (7) and 6-1.
In another five-hour match Saturday, the Nalbandian-Eduardo Schwank doubles team defeated the team of Cilic-Karlovic 3-6, 7-6 (6), 6-3, 6-7 (6) and 8-6.
Argentina will face the Czech Republic in semi-finals Sept 14-16, also in Buenos Aires.
The other semi-final will see Spain, which beat Austria 4-1, play the United States (France, 3-2).
- Argentina draws 1-1 with Croatia in Davis Cup - Apr 07, 2012
- Jokovic struggles with court and qualifier before winning - May 09, 2012
- Federer beats Mahut to enter French Open fourth round - Jun 02, 2012
- Murray's road to US Open title - Sep 11, 2012
- Wimbledon: Del Potro sinks Nishikori - Jul 01, 2012
- Murray reaches Wimbledon quarters - Jul 03, 2012
- Nalbandian put Argentina into Davis Cup semi-finals (Night Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Tipsarevic stuns Djokovic in Madrid Open - May 12, 2012
- Gilles Simon goes down to Xavier Malisse at Wimbledon (Roundup) - Jun 29, 2012
- Nalbandian sees Argentina through to Davis Cup semis - Jul 11, 2010
- Davis Cup final: Argentina win doubles to keep chances alive - Dec 04, 2011
- Monfils advances in Stockholm Open as seeds crash out - Oct 21, 2011
- Davis Cup semifinals: Nadal plays Gasquet, Djokovic against Nalbandian - Sep 15, 2011
- US Open: Nadal, Murray in last 16; Stosur vs. Zvonareva in women's quarters - Sep 05, 2011
- Roundup: Berdych stuns Federer out of US Open - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: buenos aires, clay courts, cup semifinals, david nalbandian, davis cup, doubles team, france 3, ivo karlovic, juan martin del potro, juan monaco, marin cilic, parque roca, schwank, semi finals, spectators, stomach ailment, teran, time davis, veic, xinhua