Areshchenko, Lalith share lead in International Open Grandmasters ChessJanuary 25th, 2009 - 11:39 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Jan 25 (IANS) Top seed Ukrainian Grandmaster Alexander Areshchenko and the talented Indian youngster M. R. Lalith Babu shared the lead with 5.5 points at the end of sixth round in the Gurgaon International Open Grandmasters Chess Tournament at Suncity World School here Sunday. Playing the white side of Petroff Defence, Areshchenko defeated Indian International Master Saptarshi Roy in 35 moves while Lalith overcame Chennai based Fide Master S. Nitin in 32 moves.
With four rounds still to come the leaders are now followed by as many as 14 players on five points including second seed Grandmaster Yuriy Kuzubov of Ukraine, Bangladesh Grandmaster Niaz Murshed and Indian Grandmaster Neelotpal Das. GM Abhijit Kunte is on 4.5 point.
In the major upset of the day, playing with black pieces, double International Master Norm holder Shashikant Kutwal outwitted Kazak Grandmaster Petr Kostenko in just 26 moves while lowly rated Kapil Lohana held International Master Suvrajit Saha to a creditable draw.
On the other top boards, Ukrainian Grandmaster Yuriy Kuzubov settled for half point against Bangladesh Grandmaster Niaz Murshed while International Master S. P. Sethurman and Kazak Grandmaster Anuar Ismagambetov signed the peace treaty after 45 moves.
The local crowd had the reason to cheer in the sixth round as local player M. C. Tanwar held Russian International Master Boris Arkhangelsky to a draw.
Important Results of Round 6 (Indians otherwise stated):
GM Alexander Areshchenko of Ukraine (5.5) beat IM Saptarshi Roy (4.5) ; GM Yuiry Kuzubov of Ukraine (5) drew with GM Niaz Murshed of Bangladesh (5) ; IM SP Sethuraman (5) drew with GM Anur Ismagambetov (5) ; GM Mikhail Ulibin of Russia (5) drew with IM PDS Girinath (5) ; M R Lalith Babu (5.5) beat FM S Nitin (4.5) ; IM Arghyadip Das (5) drew with IM Deep Sengupta (5) ; GM Yuri Solodovnichenko of Ukraine (5) beat R Premnath (4) ; Shivananda B S (4.5) drew with GM Evgeny Gleizerov of Russia (4.5) ; GM Petr Kostenko of Kazakhstan (4) lost to Shashikant Kutwal (5) ; IM Anup Deshmukh (4) lost to GM Neelotpal Das (5) ; Mohammed Javed of Bangladesh (4) lost to IM RR Laxman (5) ; GM Praveen Thipsay (4.5) drew with Anwesh Upadhyaya (4.5) ; IM Shyam Sundar (5) beat P Saravana Krishnan (4) ; Somak Palit (4.5) drew with Pradip Ghosh (4.5) ; IM Prathamesh Mokal (5) beat Vaibhav Suri (4) ; Kapil Lohana (4.5) drew with IM Suvrajit Saha (4.5) ; Abhijit Kunte (4.5) beat Raghavendra V (4) ; GM Saidali Iuldachev of Uzbekistan (4.5) beat FM J Ramakrishna (3.5) ; P Maheswaran (3.5) lost to GM Safin Shukhrat of Uzbekistan (4.5) ; Ram Prakash (3.5) lost to IM B Adhiban (4.5) .
- Laxman downs Solodovnichenko to share lead in Gurgaon chess - Jan 27, 2009
- Sethuraman beat Shukhrat in Gurgaon International chess - Jan 25, 2009
- Parimarjan Negi is National Premier Chess Champion - Dec 22, 2010
- Upsets galore in Gurgaon Open chess - Jan 22, 2009
- Chennai Open chess: Pandian upsets GM Gomez - Jan 08, 2012
- Kuzubov wins Gurgaon International Open chess - Jan 29, 2009
- Dzhumaev and Tolstikh join Maghami at the top - Jan 19, 2010
- Areshchenko continues his winning run at Gurgaon chess - Jan 24, 2009
- Akash keeps lead; Reddy shocks Chowdhury - May 25, 2012
- Vaibhav Suri among leaders in Chennai Open chess - Jan 07, 2012
- Aleksej, Ruiyuan share lead in Chennai Open chess - Jan 09, 2012
- Kore wins at Chennai Open chess to join leaders - Jan 10, 2012
- Himangshu, Vidit pull off big upsets in Kolkata Open Chess - Sep 02, 2009
- Indians shine in Chennai Open chess - Jan 06, 2012
- Harikrishnan shocks Nisha Mohota in Chennai Open chess - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: abhijit kunte, anur, babu, chess tournament, fide master, five points, grandmasters, kapil, kazak, kostenko, master norm, niaz, nitin, peace treaty, premnath, russian international, saha, sethuraman, shivananda, youngster