Archery World Cup: Indian men win silver, women bronzeJune 6th, 2009 - 11:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 6 (IANS) The Indian men’s recurve team had to be satisfied with a silver, going down to World champions South Korea in the finals of the Archery World Cup stage III meet at Antalya, Turkey, Saturday.
South Korea won the contest 225-221 to relegate India to the second place.
The Indian women did not slip in the third place play-off as they overpowered Japan 211-201 to clinch the bronze.
Rahul Banerjee, Mangal Singh Champia and Jayanta Talukdar had combined to give India the gold medal in the previous two World Cups held at Santo Domingo and Porec in the absence of south Korea.
The trio had won the first World Cup team gold at the same venue last year but Saturday the South Koreans showed better technique and concentration in windy conditions to reduce the Indians to mere spectators.
South Korea established a slender one-point lead in the first end of six arrows (57-57). The lead increased to three points in the next end of six arrows (58-56) for a total of 115-112. The third end produced 56 for South Korea and 54 for India and the final end gave South Korea 54 and India 55 for a grand total of 225-221.
South Korea won a team double, taking the women’s gold medal as well by beating the Russian Federation 209-205.
Three more Indians - Kapil, Jayanta Talukdar and Rimil Biruly - are in the quarterfinals of the recurve category individual section to be played Sunday.
- World Cup archery: Indian men settle for silver - May 08, 2011
- India win gold in World Cup archery - Jun 10, 2010
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Asian Games archery: Indian women get bronze, Korea take gold (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- World Cup archery: Indian recurve team in final - May 04, 2012
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Rich medal haul for India - Feb 19, 2012
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- World Cup Stage I archery: Indians put up a modest show - May 04, 2011
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- India win triple gold in Asian Grand Prix archery (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Indian men go down to China in quarters - Sep 07, 2009
- World Cup archery: Indian women in bronze medal play-off - Jun 10, 2011
- Archery World Cup: Indian men win gold, Deepika settles for silver - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: antalya turkey, archery world, arrows, gold medal, grand total, indian men, indian women, mangal singh, porec, quarterfinals, rahul, south korea, south koreans, spectators, stage iii, talukdar, team gold, windy conditions, world champions, world cups