Archers confident of a podium finish in Olympics: DolaAugust 2nd, 2008 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 2 (IANS) Days before leaving for the Beijing Olympics, ace Indian archer Dola Banerjee Saturday exuded confidence that the nation would get a medal in the sport. “We will get a medal this time. We don’t know which event, but we are confident,” Dola told reporters at the Calcutta Sports journalists’ Club here.
A four-member team of archers would represent India at Beijing. The Indians would take part in three of the events - men’s individual, and women’s team and individuals.
Archery Association of India general secretary Paresh Mukherjee said: “We are going to compete, and not to just participate”.
Mangal Singh Champia, the lone male participant and who has been in great form, said he was going with an open mind. “I don’t want to put pressure on myself by saying I have to win a medal. I am going with an open mind, and I am confident”.
The team has undergone intensive training under the South Korean coach Wang Woo Lee at the Sports Authority of India ground at the satellite township of Salt Lake.
“If we can repeat the form we have displayed in practice, then we will not return empty-handed”.
Banerjee felt the presence of youngsters like Vardeneni Pranitha and Bombayla Devi, both first time contestants at the Olympics, would not make things difficult for the Indians.
“I have had long discussions with them in the last few days. If they are not overawed, we won’t have much difficulty. Bombayla has been in good form for the last one year. Pranitha has been in the Indian team in the last two World Cups,” she said.
- South Korea the team to beat at Olympics: Rahul Banerjee - Jul 14, 2012
- Deepika second Indian woman archer to reach World Cup final - Sep 02, 2010
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- Indian men 3rd, women 6th in archery World Cup qualifiers - Aug 06, 2010
- Consistency is the key for Indian archers (Preview) - Aug 08, 2008
- Early exit for Indians in archery World Cup - Aug 06, 2010
- Being world No.1 is added pressure for Olympics: Deepika - Jul 14, 2012
- Indian archery team for South Asian Games announced - Jan 26, 2010
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- CWG archery: Deepika wins gold, Dola bronze (Lead) - Oct 10, 2010
- CWG archery: India end campaign with three gold (Roundup) - Oct 10, 2010
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- India win triple gold in Asian Grand Prix archery (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: archer, archery association, aug 2, beijing olympics, calcutta, dola banerjee, general secretary, india general, intensive training, kolkata, mangal singh, member team, olympics, paresh, podium, south korean, sports authority, sports journalists, world cups, youngsters