Archer Reena gets nod ahead of Swuro for OlympicsMay 10th, 2008 - 8:39 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) Archery Association of India (AAI) Saturday decided to select Reena Kumari in place of Chekrovolu Swuro in the women’s team for the Beijing Olympics. Mangal Singh Champia in the men’s section and Laishram Bombayla Devi, Dola Banerjee and Reena Kumari in the women’s category will represent India in the Olympics in August.
Indian archers had reserved four quota places for the Olympics but in archery, the quota goes to the country and not to the individual.
Swuro, who earned one quota in the women’s section, was going through a bad form and was called for a two-day trial in Kolkata. She finished fourth, behind Reena, in the trials and was left out of the Olympics squad.
Swuro has been going through a bad patch since the Archery World Championship in Leipzig last year where she won the quota.
The Indian squad for the third World Cup at Antalya in Turkey from May 27-31 was also named. Reena and Punya Prabha were selected in the women’s team while Jayanta Talukdar, Rahul Banerjee, Priyank and Mangal Singh will compete in the men’s section.
The team for the fourth World Cup at Boe in France from June 24-28 was also announced and it will have Punya, V. Parinitha, Swuro and Rimil Biruli in women’s and Jayant, Rahul, Priyank and Ranjan Singh (Jr) in men’s section.
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- Indian archery squad named for World Cups - Jul 13, 2011
- World archery: Indian women make it to London Olympics, men lose - Jul 06, 2011
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Seven Indians in semis - Feb 17, 2012
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Four changes in India's archery squad - May 12, 2009
- World Cup archery: Indian recurve team in final - May 04, 2012
- Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meet - Jun 30, 2011
- Archery World Cup Stage II: Deepika Kumari lifts Indian team to 2nd place - Jun 08, 2011
- Indians on a song in archery World Cup - Jun 05, 2009
- Indian men 3rd, women 6th in archery World Cup qualifiers - Aug 06, 2010
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Rich medal haul for India - Feb 19, 2012
- World Cup archery: Indian women in bronze medal play-off - Jun 10, 2011
- Indian men's recurve team in World Cup archery final - Jun 09, 2010