Archer Rao surprise inclusion in World Cup squadApril 12th, 2009 - 12:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 12 (IANS) Sub-junior national runner-up Arjun Rao of Jharkhand was the surprise qualifier in the men’s compound bow division to make it to the Indian team for the second and third World Cup meets.
The 16-year-old earned his maiden senior international assignment with the Indian team at the expense of M. Chinglensana Luwang by finishing fourth overall in the two-day selection trials that ended at the Sports Authority of India (SAI), Eastern Centre, here Saturday.
The men’s recurve bow division also saw the elimination of Kapil from the side that participated in the first World Cup at Santo Domingo. Vishwash moved in by finishing third overall.
The second World Cup will be held at Porec (Croatia) from May 4 to 9, and the third World Cup at Antalya (Turkey) from June 2 to 7.
Archery Association of India secretary general Paresh Nath Mukherjee also announced the men’s squads for the second Asian Grand Prix to be held at Tehran from May 18 to 23. Archers who finished between fifth and eighth positions during the trials have been accommodated in the Tehran bound sides.
World Cups squad:
Recurve: Rahul Banerjee (Steel Plant), Mangal Singh (Rlys), Vishwash (Services) and Jayanta Talukdar (Steel Plant)
Compound: C. Srither (Services), Chungda Sherpa (Services), Kh. Ratan Singh (Services) and Arjun Rao (Jharkhand)
2nd Asian GP squad:
Recurve: Kapil (Chandigarh), Tarundeep Rai (Services), Muni Ram Tirkey (Services) and K. Shivshankar (Services)
Compound: L. Haridas (Services), M. Chinglensana Luwang (Services), Amrinder Singh (Punjab) and Arun Sharma (Services)
- Arjun Rao in national team for archery world cups - Apr 12, 2009
- Four changes in India's archery squad - May 12, 2009
- Indian compound squad named for World Archery Championship - Jul 31, 2009
- Eight-member Indian recurve archery squad for World Cup - May 17, 2010
- Indian archery team for Asian meets announced - Oct 16, 2009
- Indian archery squad named for World Cups - Jul 13, 2011
- World Cup archery: Indian men settle for silver - May 08, 2011
- Srither scores 360, finishes 5th in archery World Cup - May 07, 2009
- Dismal show by Indian recurve archers - May 05, 2011
- India to send 16 archers for first Asian Grand Prix - Jan 26, 2010
- Deepika redeems herself in Junior Archery - Dec 30, 2010
- Archers confident of rich medals haul in Games - Sep 10, 2010
- Archery World Cup: Dola, Reena compete for lone bronze medal - Apr 04, 2009
- Chekrovolu, Jayalakshmi make the cut for World Cup - Apr 12, 2009
- Asian Grand Prix: Five Indian archers in medal race - May 24, 2009
Tags: antalya turkey, archery association, arun sharma, chandigarh, compound bow, haridas, international assignment, kapil, nath, paresh, plant compound, ratan singh, recurve bow, selection trials, sports authority, steel plant, talukdar, tirkey, world cup squad, world cups