Anzhi grab narrow win over AZAugust 24th, 2012 - 12:48 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A second-half strike from Ivorian striker Lacina Traore gave Anzhi a 1-0 victory over AZ Alkmaar in their Europa League playoff first-leg match Thursday.
Traore opened the scored the only goal in the 51st minute, hammering the ball into the corner of the net from a cross delivered by Dutch midfielder Mbark Boussoufa.
Big-spending Anzhi have been forced by UEFA to host their home games outside their home region of Dagestan due to security concerns, leading the game to be held here.
Fans of Moscow teams arrived to protest Anzhi’s use of Lokomotiv Moscow’s ground for the game, chanting racial abuse at Anzhi supporters and noisily supporting AZ.
The second leg is scheduled for Aug 30.
- Anzhi smash five past Alkmaar to qualify for Europa - Aug 31, 2012
- Eto'o slams fans after Europa League racism incident - Aug 29, 2012
- Jozy Altidore confident about Anzhi clash - Aug 20, 2012
- Anzhi stars upset at UEFA stadium ban: Boussoufa - Jul 12, 2012
- Anzhi plead fans not to bury European dream - Jul 17, 2012
- Dynamo drawn against Stuttgart in Europa League playoffs - Aug 10, 2012
- Anzhi optimistic about winning Europa League - Sep 11, 2012
- Police investigate Anzhi terrorism claims - Aug 18, 2012
- Anzhi unfit to host Europa League games: UEFA - Jul 02, 2012
- Dagestan unfit to host Europa matches: UEFA - Jul 02, 2012
- Anzhi's opponents better prepared: Hiddink - Jul 16, 2012
- Anzhi draw Liverpool, Udinese in Europa League - Sep 01, 2012
- Hiddink slams UEFA ban for Anzhi home arena - Jul 13, 2012
- Anzhi confirm Diarra signing - Sep 04, 2012
- Dundee United to face Dynamo Moscow in Europa League - Jul 20, 2012