Anzhi fans to protest UEFA ban: SpokesmanJuly 5th, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Anzhi Makhachkala supporters are to hold a demonstration on Saturday to protest UEFA’s decision to strip the club of hosting rights for Europa League games, a fan club spokesman told R-Sport.
Guus Hiddink’s team qualified for the tournament by finishing fifth in the league last season, but UEFA banned the Russians from holding their home matches in Dagestan due to the threat of terrorism.
The location of the protest is Makhachkala’s Dinamo Stadium, where the club holds its home matches, and among those in attendance will be local officials also unhappy at UEFA’s move, the spokesman said.
Anzhi players including stars such as Roberto Carlos and Samuel Eto’o live and train in Moscow, and fly south for each home game.
Dagestan is seen as a hotbed of terrorist activity and the origin of several deadly attacks over the last few years.
As recently as May, 14 people were killed and 122 wounded in suicide blasts in Makhachkala.
Militants from the regions were blamed for the double suicide blast of the Moscow subway in 2010 that killed 40 people.
- Anzhi stars upset at UEFA stadium ban: Boussoufa - Jul 12, 2012
- Hiddink slams UEFA ban for Anzhi home arena - Jul 13, 2012
- Eto'o asks UEFA to reconsider Anzhi ban - Jul 16, 2012
- Dagestan unfit to host Europa matches: UEFA - Jul 02, 2012
- Anzhi unfit to host Europa League games: UEFA - Jul 02, 2012
- Anzhi to play Europa matches near Moscow - Jul 09, 2012
- Anzhi pleads with UEFA to declare ground safe - Jul 04, 2012
- Police investigate Anzhi terrorism claims - Aug 18, 2012
- Anzhi's opponents better prepared: Hiddink - Jul 16, 2012
- Anzhi plead fans not to bury European dream - Jul 17, 2012
- Hiddink hints at Anzhi exit - Jul 13, 2012
- Eto'o slams fans after Europa League racism incident - Aug 29, 2012
- Anzhi smash five past Alkmaar to qualify for Europa - Aug 31, 2012
- Jozy Altidore confident about Anzhi clash - Aug 20, 2012
- Eto'o a doubt for Anzhi: Hiddink - Aug 17, 2012
Tags: club spokesman, dagestan, demonstration, dinamo, double suicide, fan club, guus hiddink, home game, hotbed, league games, makhachkala, militants, moscow subway, ria novosti, roberto carlos, russians, samuel eto o, suicide blasts, terrorist activity, vm