Ankle scare for Ishant as Indians toil hardDecember 15th, 2011 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Canberra, Dec 15 (IANS) Fast bowler Ishant Sharma could bowl just 5.3 overs as the Indians had a hard day on field on the first day of their first practice match aagainst Cricket Australia (CA) Chairman’s XI, who posted a huge 398 for six declared in the first innings after twin centuries from Wes Robinson and Tom Cooper at the Manuka Oval here Thursday.
Rahul Dravid, leading the side, won the toss and decided to field. The bowlers raised hopes reducing Chairman’s XI to 45/2 but a brilliant double-century stand of 226 between Robinson (143) and Cooper (182) summed up the day for the visitors.
The match was keenly watched by CA chairman Wally Edwards and Prime Minister Julia Gillard’s partner Tim Mathieson.
All eyes were on Ishant, who went off the field twice in the space of his brief spell. He made his second exit midway through his sixth over after which he did not return. Ishant was seen on the ground later in the day but to carry drinks.
An official from the Indian team said that the lankyfast bowler had plans to bowl only six overs and after his ankle strapping loosened he thought it was of no use to carry on.
Reeling under jetlag and a five-hour journey to Canberra, the Indian team was certainly not in its best frame.
In the absence of Ishant, the rest of the Indian bowlers toiled hard. West Australia’s Robinson and South Australia’s Cooper piled the agony on the Indians. Left-arm pacer Pragyan Ojha and fast bowler R. Vinay Kumar were on the receiving end of the most aggressive strokes.
- Cricket Australia announce squads for warm-ups against India - Dec 09, 2011
- Sharma proves his fitness in farcical draw - Dec 21, 2011
- Indian batsmen struggle in rain-affected warm-up game - Dec 19, 2011
- India to play extra warm-up game in Australia - Oct 05, 2011
- Indian cricket team arrives in Australia - Dec 13, 2011
- India considered walking out of warm-up game in Canberra - Dec 19, 2011
- Kohli, Ashwin shine for India in warm-up game - Dec 20, 2011
- Australian capital to host maiden ODI - Jun 08, 2012
- Australia considering India's call for extra warm-up match - Aug 20, 2011
- Indian batsmen warm up in style, Tendulkar top scores with 92 - Dec 16, 2011
- I am ready for Boxing Day Test: Ed Cowan - Dec 20, 2011
- Harris pulled himself out of contention for Boxing Day Test - Dec 22, 2011
- We will exploit Australia's weakness against swing: Rohit - Dec 16, 2011
- India will rely on swing: Zaheer - Dec 15, 2011
- Rookie of 2007, Ishant back in Australia with excitement - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: ankle strapping, ca chairman, canberra, chairman wally, cricket australia, double century, indian bowlers, jetlag, julia gillard, manuka oval, ojha, pacer, rahul, s cooper, s robinson, south australia, tom cooper, vinay kumar, wes robinson, west australia