Ankita storms into ITF semisJune 4th, 2009 - 6:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) Top seed Ankita Bhambri is the lone Indian in the semi-finals of the International Tennis Federation semi-finals and she beat her compatriot Parija Maloo 7-5, 6-2, at the DLTA complex here Thursday.
Another Indian Rashmi Teltumbde looked good to join Ankita when she clinched a tight first-set tie-break, but she could not last the distance against China ’s Chun-yan He in the oppressive summer heat and went down 7-6(6), 4-6, 1-6. He next plays second seed Anastasia Malhotra of Japan who made short work of China’s Ting Li, winning 6-1, 6-1.
Ankita once again impressed with her solid groundstrokes. Her serve got better as the match progressed, and came in handy to wriggle out of tight situations.
An undergraduate at the University of South Alabama, Maloo’s problems began with her inconsistent service and her error-prone hitting only compounded her troubles.
Ankita, who made a second-round exit last week in the first of the back-to-back tournaments, was the first to hold serve in the fourth game of the first set. She was serving for the set at 5-2, but lapsed into all sorts of errors to allow Maloo to pull back to make it 5-5.
Ankita, then broke Maloo at love in the eleventh game before serving out the set.
The top seed cut down on her errors in the second set and broke a dispirited Maloo in the third and the seventh games before holding her serve to wrap up the the match in a little over an hour.
Ankita now plays Korean qualifier Soon-mi Seo who had beaten her sister Sanaa in the first round. Seo advanced to the semi-final after last week’s champion and eighth seed Ying Ying Duan of China conceded after losing first set 0-6, complaining of a stomach bug.
Duan also pulled out of her doubles semi-final, where she and her compatriot Yue Yuan were to play Korean pair, Seo and Jung-Yoon Shin.
- Ankita to take on Maloo in ITF quarters - Jun 03, 2009
- Rushmi lone Indian in ITF semi-finals - May 28, 2009
- Ankita plays Chinese He in the ITF final - Jun 05, 2009
- Rushmi shocked, Ratnika rallies to beat Ashvarya in ITF tourney - Jun 21, 2011
- Ankita to lead Indian challenge in ITF - May 24, 2009
- Ashvarya, Ankita advance on day one of ITF women - Jun 13, 2011
- Rutuja in ITF women's quarterfinals - Jun 22, 2011
- Rutuja beats Ratnika to enter ITF tournament quarters - Jun 15, 2011
- Australian Open: Paes-Stepanek, Sania-Bhupathi in semis (Roundup) - Jan 25, 2012
- Ankita had it easy against Phadke in ITF tournament - Jun 02, 2009
- Saina in Indonesia Open final, Kashyap loses (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Prerna lone Indian in ITF semifinals - Jun 16, 2011
- China's Yang wins her first ITF singles title - Jun 18, 2011
- National Grass Court Tennis: Top seed Myneni in semis - Feb 09, 2012
- Rushmi runs out of steam, loses in ITF semi-final - May 29, 2009
Tags: ankita bhambri, compatriot, duan, eighth seed, international tennis federation, malhotra, rashmi, sanaa, semi finals, semis, stomach bug, summer heat, tie break, tight situations, ting li, university of south alabama, winning 6, yoon shin, yuan, yue