Ankita plays Chinese He in the ITF finalJune 5th, 2009 - 8:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) Top seed Ankita Bhambri overpowered South Korean qualifier Soon-mi Seo 6-4, 6-4 to set up a title clash with China’s Chun Yan He in the International Tennis Federation tournament at the DLTA complex here Friday.
He advanced when second-seeded Japanese Anastasia Malhotra called it off, complaining giddiness, when she trailed 1-6, 1-2.
Later in the day, Ankita and sister Sanaa, beat Koreans Seo and Jung-yoon Shin, 6-4, 2-6, 10-1 to win the doubles title.
Seo, who accounted for Sanaa in the first round, had an early break in the first set to lead 3-1 but the Indian, relying on her big serve and punishing forehand, broke back in the fifth game but not before squandering three break points.
Ankita broke Seo again in the ninth game as the Korean double-faulted on the third break point and then the Indian served out the set.
Ankita began the second set on a confident note, breaking Seo in the second game. The Korean took a medical time-out for a back problem. Seo resumed play but struggled to find her rhythm. The Indian was quick to reel off three games before Seo held her serve.
Ankita, serving for the match at 5-3, was broken after muffing two match points. She had to wait for her next service game to finish the job.
- Prerna, Ankita only Indians to advance to quarterfinals - May 11, 2011
- Ankita storms into ITF semis - Jun 04, 2009
- Ashvarya, Ankita advance on day one of ITF women - Jun 13, 2011
- Rushmi shocked, Ratnika rallies to beat Ashvarya in ITF tourney - Jun 21, 2011
- National Grass Court Tennis: Top seed Myneni in final - Feb 10, 2012
- Rutuja in ITF women's quarterfinals - Jun 22, 2011
- Sanaa, Rushmi reach ITF tournament semi-finals - Sep 17, 2009
- Rutuja beats Ratnika to enter ITF tournament quarters - Jun 15, 2011
- Indians bow out in first round of QNet women's championship - Mar 19, 2012
- National Grass Court Tennis: Top seed Myneni in semis - Feb 09, 2012
- Rushmi lone Indian in ITF semi-finals - May 28, 2009
- Top seed Chen bows out of ITF meet - Jun 07, 2012
- Prerna continues to come through three-setters - May 12, 2011
- Prerna lone Indian in ITF semifinals - Jun 16, 2011
- Easy for Rashmi, three-set win for Maloo in ITF - Jun 01, 2009
Tags: anastasia, ankita bhambri, break point, break points, china, confident note, fifth game, giddiness, international tennis federation, job, koreans, match points, New Delhi, rhythm, second game, service game, three games, time out, title clash, yoon shin