Andy Murray’s mum thinks granny is a jinxJune 22nd, 2009 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 22 (ANI): While Andy Murray is hoping to bring home the Wimbledon trophy, her mother has said that she won’t be taking his granny along to watch him play because she’s a jinx.
Murray’s mum Judy thinks that Andy, 22, may lose his chances of winning if her mother, Shirley Erskine, 73, cheers from the sidelines.
This is because Murray lost the last three times his grandmother was watching him play.
The last occasion was when Judy took Shirley to see Andy play Juan Martin Del Potro at the Madrid masters in May.
“It was Andy’s 22nd birthday and he was due to play Del Potro at 10pm,” the Daily Express quoted Judy as saying.
“I made a booking and took granny with me. This was the third successive year I’ve taken my mum for Andy’s birthday and he has lost each time,” she said.
She added: “She is clearly a jinx and I’m not taking her again.”
But Shirley is adamant to go there in person rather than watching at home in Scotland.
“I’m trying to convince the family I’m not a jinx because I want to be down there cheering Andy on. I fully intend to go to Wimbledon and if I could do anything to bring Andy good luck, I would,” she declared. (ANI)
- Andy Murray's mother to stay as part of support team - Apr 10, 2011
- Borg says Murray will win US Open - Aug 25, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Federer plays Murray in repeat of Wimbledon final (Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Murray's mom very demonstrative in supporting him - Jul 03, 2009
- Calls for roof may intensify after rain delays in US Open - Sep 13, 2010
- Murray's girlfriend to watch Oz Open finals from London home - Jan 29, 2011
- Ex-coach Gilbert says Andy ready for Flushing Meadows with mum's help - Aug 23, 2010
- Olympic tennis: Federer beats del Potro in epic semifinal - Aug 04, 2012
- Federer turns 29, motivated for 2010 second-half turnaround - Aug 09, 2010
- Murray to join Federer in Olympic final - Aug 04, 2012
- Del Potro through, as Murray loses percentage game - Nov 27, 2009
- Andre's Mexican bash for children - Jul 03, 2012
- Djokovic the player to beat at Melbourne Park - Jan 15, 2012
- Murray looking to utilize home advantage for ATP Finals - Nov 19, 2009
- Roddick qualifies sixth for eight-man London Finals field - Oct 20, 2009