Andhra celebrates second bronze medal at OlympicsAugust 4th, 2012 - 11:27 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Aug 4 (IANS) Andhra Pradesh Saturday celebrated ace shuttler Saina Nehwal’s bronze medal win at the London Olympics with the governor, chief minister and other eminent personalities congratulating her.
Saina became the second Hyderabadi after Gagan Narang to give India a bronze medal at the London Olympics. Narang had won the bronze medal in the men’s 10-metre air rifle shooting event.
Saina’s father Harvir Singh Nehwal and other family members erupted in joy as Xin Wang retired hurt in the second game, giving the 22-year-old Hyderabadi a bronze. The Chinese was leading the second game 1-0 after winning the first game 21-18 in the bronze-medal play-off.
Though this was not the result Harvir, an agricultural scientist, was hoping for, he was happy that their dream of Saina returning with an Olympic medal came true.
“I am really happy. She fought hard, made that girl (Wang) tired and unable to move and finally forced her to retire without completing the match,” said a proud Harvir Singh.
The sports fraternity hailed the historic victory of Saina, who became the third sportsperson from the state to win a bronze at the Olympics. Weightlifter Karnam Malleswari from Srikakulam district had won bronze in the Sydney Olympics.
Saina is also the only second Indian woman to win an Olympic medal and first Indian shuttler to corner Olympic glory.
Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan and Chief Minister N. Kiran Kumar Reddy congratulated Saina for winning the first Olympic medal in badminton for India.
The chief minister, in his message, said that by winning the Olympic bronze medal, Saina has done India and Andhra Pradesh proud.
“I join the people of Andhra Pradesh in congratulating you for winning the Olympic bronze medal,” he said.
Former chief minister and Telugu Desam Party (TDP) president N. Chandrababu Naidu also congratulated Saina and hoped that she would bring more laurels to the state and to the country.
- Andhra announces Rs.50 lakh cash award for Gagan - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympic badminton: Saina brings India third medal (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2012
- Can't believe I won a medal: Saina Nehwal - Aug 05, 2012
- Saina changes Bejing heartbreak into Olympic bronze (Profile) - Aug 04, 2012
- Saina aims for greater feats after Olympic bronze (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Superb Saina wins India's third medal at London Olympics (India Round-up) - Aug 04, 2012
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- PM congratulates Saina - Aug 04, 2012
- Saina deserved the medal for her sheer commitment, says father - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Triple jumpers fail, Saina gets rousing reception (India Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Saina Nehwal - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Saina wins India's third medal, Paes-Sania out (India Intro Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Olympics: Super Saina wins bronze, Manoj Kumar loses (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2012
- Andhra governor congratulates Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Sachin gives away BMW to Saina Nehwal - Aug 20, 2012
Tags: agricultural scientist, air rifle, chandrababu, chief minister, eminent personalities, hyderabadi, kiran kumar, london olympics, malleswari, narang, narasimhan, olympic bronze medal, olympic glory, olympic medal, rifle shooting, saina nehwal, second game, sportsperson, sydney olympics, xin wang