Ancelotti concedes his Chelsea future doubtful after playing ‘out of form’ TorresApril 13th, 2011 - 1:28 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 13 (ANI): Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has conceded that his future at the club is beyond his control after admitting that he may have made a mistake by selecting Fernando Torres ahead of Didier Drogba during their Champions League exit at Old Trafford.
Torres is still waiting for his first Chelsea goal since his 50 million pound transfer. Drogba replaced him at half time during the Champions League 2-1 quarter-final second-leg defeat against Manchester United, The Telegraph reports.
Ancelotti’s decision to start with Torres looked to have backfired with Drogba scoring in an impressive second-half performance.
Asked whether his decision to keep faith with Torres was a mistake, Ancelotti said: “Maybe. Could be, but I thought a lot of time to take this decision. I preferred to start with Fernando for this kind of game, with these kind of tactics, but Didier played very well in the second half. He did better than Torres in his 45 minutes.”
“I wanted to put more pressure in front. We needed to score. Didier was fresh and could use his power in front. This was the reason I took off Fernando. We have to believe (in Torres), though. We have to wait until he improves,” he added
Ancelotti, a two-time Champions League winner with AC Milan, admitted he cannot be certain whether he will remain as Chelsea manager long enough to see Torres finally justify his transfer fee.
Dismissing Sir Alex Ferguson’s claim that he ‘had to play’ Torres from the start in the game, Ancelotti said: “This is not true. I put Fernando in because he has skills and ability that could be good for us.” (ANI)
- Chlesea has best strike force in Europe: Ancelotti - Feb 23, 2011
- Ancelotti could drop Torres for Champions League game against Man U - Apr 12, 2011
- Chelsea posses best attack of Premier League: Ancelotti - Apr 02, 2011
- Chelsea win Champions League for the first time - May 20, 2012
- Chelsea reach Champions League quarters after thrilling win - Mar 15, 2012
- Ancelotti says Torres will have 'fantastic future' at Chelsea - Apr 24, 2011
- Ancelotti asks Chelsea strikers to sharpen up scoring skills - Mar 17, 2011
- Torres urges Liverpool to let him join Chelsea - Jan 29, 2011
- Valiant Chelsea knock Barca out, reach Champions League final - Apr 25, 2012
- Ancelotti says Chelsea must lift game to have chance of winning Champions League - Nov 24, 2010
- Chelsea not going to buy Torres: Ancelotti - Nov 10, 2010
- Torres doesn't have to score to prove his worth: Ancelotti - Mar 03, 2011
- Chelsea's 'record signing non-performing' star Torres could face the axe: Ancelotti - Apr 09, 2011
- Carroll will be better than Drogba, says Joe Cole - Mar 31, 2011
- Don't want to leave Chelsea: Anelka - Jul 21, 2011
Tags: 50 million, ac milan, alex ferguson, boss, carlo ancelotti, champions league, drogba, faith, fernando torres, kind of game, league winner, london, manchester united, mistake, old trafford, second half, sir alex ferguson, telegraph reports, time champions