Anand wins fifth World Chess title (Lead)May 30th, 2012 - 8:26 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 30 (IANS) Defending champion Vishwanathan Anand of India clinched the World Chess Championship title for the fifth time here Wednesday defeating Israeli challenger Boris Gelfand in a rapid-chess tie-breaker.
Anand sealed his fourth-consecutive world title beating Gelfand 2.5-1.5 in the four-match tie breaker at Moscow’s State Tretyakov Gallery.
The tournament went into the tie-breakers after Anand and Gelfand drew the 12th game, Monday. They were tied 6-6 after the final round.
Anand will receive $1.5 million, while challenger Gelfand bags $1 million.
Anand, 42, has held the undisputed World Chess Champion title since October 2008, when he defeated Russia’s Vladimir Kramnik in Bonn, Germany. He defended his title in 2009 by beating Bulgarian opponent Veselin Topalov 6.5-5.5 in Sofia.
Gelfand, 43, gained the right to be contender for the world title after a win last May against Russia’s Alexander Grischuk at a contenders’ tournament in Kazan, Russia.
Russian billionaire and Gelfand’s school friend Andrey Filatov paid $7 million from his own pocket to hold the event in one of the halls of the renowned State Tretyakov Gallery.
- Anand crowned World Chess Champion for fifth time (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- My 40-minute chess move was crucial: Gelfand - May 29, 2012
- Putin praises Indian chess schools for Anand's success - May 31, 2012
- Chess fraternity pays tribute to Anand - May 30, 2012
- Family celebrates Anand's historic feat in Moscow (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Anand's family elated at win - May 30, 2012
- Too tense to be happy: Anand - May 30, 2012
- Putin praises Russian, Indian chess schools - May 31, 2012
- List of Anand's victories (Factfile) - May 30, 2012
- World champion Anand still eager to learn: Grand Master Ganguly (Interview) - Jun 04, 2012
- West Bengal invites Anand to Kolkata - Jun 01, 2012
- You've made the nation proud: PM to Anand - May 30, 2012
- I'm relieved: Anand (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
Tags: andrey, billionaire, bonn germany, boris gelfand, champion title, defending champion, fifth time, filatov, kazan russia, rapid chess, school friend, state tretyakov gallery, tie breaker, tie breakers, undisputed world, veselin topalov, vishwanathan anand, vladimir kramnik, world chess champion, world chess championship