Anand, Saina steer ONGC and BPCL to team events finalMarch 17th, 2008 - 11:47 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 17 (IANS) National champions Chetan Anand and Saina Nehwal registered facile wins to steer their organisations, Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) into the finals of the men’s and women’s team events of the 29th Petroleum Sports Promotion Board (PSPB) badminton tournament here Monday. ONGC will take on Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) in the men’s final Tuesday, while BPCL will be up against IOCL in the women’s category.
In the first semifinals of the men’s event, ONGC led by Anand thrashed hosts Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL) 3-0.
Anand started GAIL’s rout by defeating Ravinder Singh 21-10, 21-11 in the first match. Thomas Kurien followed it up with a smashing victory over R. Parihar 21-3, 21-1 and then top doubles duo of Rupesh Kumar and V. Deju cleaned up GAIL outclassing Ravinder Singh and B. K. Gupta 21-08, 21-10.
In the second semifinal Ajay Jayram and P. Kashyap gave IOCL an unassailable 2-0 lead against BPCL. Jayram started the proceedings beating Ajit Wijetilak 21-12, 21-19 and then Kashyap followed it up with a tough victory over Arvind Bhat 21-15, 11-21, 21-19. Later National coach Pulela Gopichand combined with J.B.S Vidyadhar to defeat S. Chopda and R.P. Aditya, who conceded the match mid-way in the second game 21-16, 4-4.
Meanwhile, in the women’s section, Saina defeated Maya Dasrath of GAIL 21-0, 21-2 in the singles match of the opening semifinal and then top women pair of Jwala Gutta and Shruti Kurien sealed the tie for BPCL, crushing Neelima and Maya Dasrath 21-3, 21-4 in the doubles.
B. R Meenakshi defeated Sampada of Engineers India Limited (EIL) 21-4, 21-5 in the opening match of the other semifinal of the women’s team event. Later Meenakshi teamed up with Aparna Balan to outclass Vineeta and Richa 21-2, 21-1 to take IOCL into the finals.
- PSPB win National Badminton team championships - Jan 06, 2011
- Saina in second round of Malaysia Open Grand Prix - May 04, 2011
- Saina, Chetan sail into third round on a day of upsets - Jun 09, 2010
- India Open: Guru Sai Dutt shocks Hashim (Lead, adding results) - Jun 11, 2010
- MCC-Murugappa Hockey: BPCL, Air India enter semis - Sep 14, 2012
- India Open: Guru Sai Dutt shocks Hashim - Jun 11, 2010
- Chetan to face Kashyap in badminton tourney final - Mar 20, 2008
- India Open Super Series: Saina makes a tearful first round exit (Roundup) - Apr 27, 2011
- CWG Badminton: Saina, Kashyap storm into semifinals (Roundup) - Oct 12, 2010
- Riya to face Mutatkar in Maharashtra badminton final - Jul 29, 2012
- CWG badminton: Saina leads Indian pack in quarter-finals - Oct 11, 2010
- India Open: Chetan advances to quarters, Jayaram falls short - Jun 10, 2010
- Jayaram stuns World No.7 at Japan Open - Sep 21, 2011
- CWG badminton: Saina, Chetan move to third round - Oct 10, 2010
- Saina, Chetan move up in of Malaysia Open Super series - Jan 20, 2010
Tags: badminton tournament, bharat petroleum, bharat petroleum corporation, bhat, gas authority of india limited, gopichand, indian oil, indian oil corporation, iocl, k gupta, kashyap, kurien, national coach, neelima, parihar, promotion board, rupesh, shruti, smashing victory, sports promotion