Anand felicitated by Bengal with sweets, cash and mementoJuly 13th, 2012 - 12:44 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 12 (IANS) From sweets and mementos shaped like chess boards, to Rs.5 lakh cash and a jar of Bengal’s favourite sweet rosogolla - there were gifts galore for world chess champion Viswanathan Anand, who was felicitated by the West Bengal government here Thursday.
A host of sports personalities covering many disciplines - former celebrated footballers Chuni Goswami and P.K. Banerjee, international archer Dola Banerjee, athlete Soma Biswas, former Indian hockey captain Gurbux Singh and a large number of chess players, ministers, businessmen, monks and nuns were present at the star-studded yet somewhat chaotic programme at the Kshudiram Anushilan Kendra.
“Anand, we are proud of you,” said Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who was away in north Bengal, over phone to Anand, who relished every minute of the felicitation which saw a large turnout of school children with the chess champion’s pictures pinned on their chests.
The five-time world champion was showered with scarves, dhotis and Italian chocolates. Anand’s wife Aruna, who had to stay away from the function due to sudden illness despite arriving to the city Thursday morning, was given a saree, while a baby suit was given for his one-year-old son Akhil.
The state government also handed out a grant of Rs.1 lakh to Grand Master Surya Sekhar Ganguly, a member of Anand’s team of seconds since the 2008 world championship.
Speaking on the occasion, state Panchayat Minister Subrata Mukherjee said: “By felicitating Anand we are glorifying ourselves”.
Replying to the felicitation, Anand recalled his long association with the metropolis. “Right from my childhood, when I first came to Kolkata to play a tournament - I hae always fund a city a paradise for sportspersons. I have always found it a pleasure to come here and enjoy the adulation.”
“The warmth and affection with which you received me is very difficult to replicate,” he added.
- Bengal asks Anand to help at proposed chess academy - Jul 13, 2012
- West Bengal rewards CWG medal winners - Nov 03, 2010
- Frenzied Kolkata fans fete Knight Riders, Shah Rukh (Roundup) - May 29, 2012
- Mamata, CAB felicitate golden boy Sachin (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Mamata, CAB felicitate golden boy Sachin - May 12, 2012
- Shah Rukh, Mamata steal show in KKR's Eden party - May 29, 2012
- Kolkatans fete Sachin Tendulkar - Dec 23, 2009
- President Mukherjee given civic reception by Bengal government (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Mary Kom gets Rs.2 lakh from Mamata, eyes Olympic gold at Rio - Sep 07, 2012
- Sachin to be presented 100 guineas, golden bat by Mamata - May 11, 2012
- West Bengal invites Anand to Kolkata - Jun 01, 2012
- GM Viswanathan Anand pleased with children taking to chess - Jul 06, 2011
- AIFF to felicitate heroes of 1951 and '62 Asian Games - Aug 15, 2012
- Calls of Bharat Ratna for Anand gain momentum (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- I don't pay much attention to critics: Anand - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: aruna, chess boards, chess players, dhotis, dola banerjee, felicitation, indian hockey, italian chocolates, mamata banerjee, monks and nuns, north bengal, p k banerjee, sekhar, soma biswas, sports personalities, subrata mukherjee, time world champion, viswanathan anand, west bengal government, world chess champion