Anand deserves Bharat Ratna but final call PM’s: MakenMay 31st, 2012 - 7:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) Sports Minister Ajay Maken Thursday said five-time world chess champion Viswanathan Anand was a deserving candidate for Bharat Ratna but it was for the prime minister to decide on whom to accord India’s highest civilian award.
“It is great that sportsperson were included in the criteria list for Bharat Ratna last year and it will be the biggest moment for us (ministry) when the Bharat Ratna is bestowed upon an athlete,” Maken told reporters here a day after Anand beat Boris Gelfand of Israel in Moscow for his fifth world crown.
“It is without doubt a huge achievement (Anand’s). But as far as the award is concerned, whether it is an active or a former sportsperson, the prime minister will take the final call.”
Maken played down the low-key celebration of Anand’s triumph when asked about the extravagant show put up for IPL champions Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) in Kolkata.
“No major celebration happened when Chennai Super Kings won IPL earlier. I don’t know the reason for KKR’s huge celebrations, may be this is how they like to express themselves.”
“We have a set rule for rewarding athletes based on their achievement and we have done that in the case of Anand,” said Maken referring to Rs.10 lakh cash award announced for the Grandmaster.
- Calls of Bharat Ratna for Anand gain momentum (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Sport ministry announces Rs. 10 lakh cash award for Anand - May 31, 2012
- Calls of Bharat Ratna for Anand gain momentum - May 30, 2012
- Anand not to lobby for Bharat Ratna - Dec 22, 2011
- World champion Anand gets grand welcome - Jun 03, 2012
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- You've made the nation proud: PM to Anand - May 30, 2012
- Anand's family elated at win - May 30, 2012
- Family celebrates Anand's historic feat in Moscow (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- West Bengal invites Anand to Kolkata - Jun 01, 2012
- Anand felicitated by Bengal with sweets, cash and memento - Jul 13, 2012
- PM congratulates Anand (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- World chess title to be decided in te-breaker - May 28, 2012
- I don't pay much attention to critics: Anand - Jul 12, 2012
- Anand to defend world title in Chennai - Jul 13, 2011
Tags: ajay maken, athlete, boris gelfand, celebration, celebrations, chennai, chess, deserving candidate, final call, kkr, knight riders, lakh, moscow, New Delhi, prime minister, time world, triumph, viswanathan anand, world chess champion, world crown