Anand backs government’s decision to call off cricket tourDecember 19th, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 19 (IANS) World Chess champion Viswanathan Anand Friday backed the country’s decision to call off its cricket tour to Pakistan in the wake of the Mumbai terror attacks.The relations between the two neighbours soured after India blamed Pakistan for the Mumbai attacks and for harbouring terrorists.
Anand said sporting activities cannot take place under such circumstances.
“The government’s decision is understandable in the present circumstances. We cannot have sports at this time, it will be insensitive to the victims of the Mumbai attacks. Pakistan’s complicity is a key factor and we cannot have links with Islamabad at this point,” Anand told reporters here on the sidelines of a promotional event.
India Thursday cancelled the cricket tour to Pakistan scheduled for January-February.
- We are open for cricket series against Pakistan: Dhoni - May 31, 2012
- Anand not to lobby for Bharat Ratna - Dec 22, 2011
- Calls of Bharat Ratna for Anand gain momentum (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Indian chess body to recommend Anand for Bharat Ratna - Jan 03, 2012
- Calls of Bharat Ratna for Anand gain momentum - May 30, 2012
- India's cricket tour to Pakistan called off (Lead) - Dec 18, 2008
- Cricket series with Pakistan BCCI's call: Krishna - Apr 19, 2011
- Pak has to ensure safety of Indian cricketers to resume cricket ties: Maken - Apr 15, 2011
- West Bengal invites Anand to Kolkata - Jun 01, 2012
- Prabhakar elected president of chess federation - Jun 30, 2011
- Anand bids to be an all-time great (Profile) - May 30, 2012
- Definitely no thoughts of retirement: Anand - Jun 03, 2012
- Unfazed by row, Anand plays chess with 40 mathematicians - Aug 24, 2010
- You've made the nation proud: PM to Anand - May 30, 2012
- Sport ministry announces Rs. 10 lakh cash award for Anand - May 31, 2012