An indoor basketball stadium for DelhiJune 7th, 2008 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 7 (IANS) The long-standing demand of Delhi’s basketball fans for an indoor stadium at the Ajmal Khan Park been finally been met, thanks to the Commonwealth Games. An air-conditioned stadium is coming up at the Ajmal Khan Park in West Delhi For years there has been a clamour for a basketball stadium at Ajmal Khan Park, the venue of the popular Pandit Prithvi Nath Sharma memorial all-India basketball tournament, but successive local-self-government agencies stonewalled it for different reasons.
Basketball Federation of India (BIFA) secretary-general Harish Sharma told IANS the new stadium would be world-class with a 3,000-seat capacity. It will also have ten rooms for players’ stay and an ultra-modern multi-gym.
The BFI is also planning to house the National Basketball Academy at the stadium.
The foundation-laying ceremony was to be held this month, but it has been deferred to the first week of July to coincide with the visit of the National Basketball Association (NBA)stars for the Basketball Without Borders Asia event at the American School in Delhi from July 3-6 and also that of International Basketball Federation (FIBA) Secretary-General and IOC member Patrick Baumann.
“The blue print for the stadium is ready and the work order has been given. The construction will begin by the July first week,” Sharma said.
The NDMC indoor stadium at the Talkatora Garden was the venue for the basketball competition in the 1982 Asian Games, but thereafter the stadium was used more for table tennis events or political conventions.
- Indian basketball's CEO Harish Sharma dead - Feb 11, 2012
- India readies for Asia U-18 basketball championship - Aug 16, 2012
- Langoors to rid Games venues of monkeys - Sep 27, 2010
- NDMC denies CVC charges on CWG venues - Oct 23, 2010
- India announce squad for inaugural 3x3 World Youth Basketball - Aug 26, 2011
- 'Park and Ride' or 'Park and Walk' to Games venues - Aug 29, 2010
- CWG's Organising Committee to ensure efficient cleaning and waste management - Aug 31, 2010
- Three firms engaged to remove waste from Games venues - Aug 31, 2010
- Roopam Sharma new secretary of Delhi Basketball Association - Apr 09, 2012
- Technical teams have moved into stadiums: Top CWG official - Aug 02, 2010
- Basketball stadium for 2010 Games hit by court stay - Feb 24, 2009
- No indoor stadium in Delhi park, rules high court - Nov 18, 2009
- Notice to NDMC on Khan Market traders' plea - Jul 08, 2011
- Court pulls up MCD for building indoor stadium in park - Oct 28, 2009
- CBI registers three new cases in CWG scam - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: ajmal khan, asia event, basketball academy, basketball competition, basketball fans, basketball stadium, basketball tournament, basketball without borders, basketball without borders asia, bifa, commonwealth games, indoor basketball, international basketball federation, ioc member, national basketball association, nba stars, political conventions, seat capacity, tennis events, west delhi