Am here to destroy whoever I play against: MartinJune 14th, 2011 - 3:33 pm ICT by IANS
St. John’s (Antigua), June 14 (IANS) Leg-spinner Anthony Martin was jumping with joy after picking up four for 36 against India that helped the West Indies win the fourth ODI by a massive 103 runs at the Vivian Richards Stadium here Monday.
“It feels good. I may not show it on the outside but I feel very good inside, you know,” he said.
“No one comes here and destroys me on my pitch,” he said. “This is my pitch. I don’t care who they are. I am here to destroy whoever I play against. I am so glad that I did it against India, the world champions,” said Martin, without sounding arrogant.
The 28-year-old said doesn’t like losing.
“I don’t like losing. That ‘L’ word is not in my vocabulary. Only Love and Lord. Not Losing,” he said.
Martin, who works as a fireman, becomes sentimental when asked about the influence of his mother in his life.
“Sometimes just to speak about my mom I want to shed tears. She has always looked out for me. She supports me all the time. She was in the crowd today with my daughter and girlfriend. I am not married. I might not ever. I may also,” said Martin as he burst into laughter.
On a serious note, he is missing Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag.
“I am sorry that Sachin and Sehwag weren’t here. I have played against Sehwag once before (in 2006). I took a catch off him and he didn’t want to move. He stood on the pitch, leaning on his bat and I was celebrating. I went all around the park,” said Martin.
The 2006 series helped Martin boost his confidence.
“I took the wicket of Rahul Dravid, caught at slip. I took another left-hander bat, don’t remember his name. I took two wickets for not much. After getting those wickets, I told myself I can play international cricket. I have seen Dravid on TV destroying attacks all over the world and he came here and I destroyed him. He hit a four first ball and then, gone! So I tell myself I can play,” he said.
- Sehwag elated at going past Tendulkar (Lead) - Dec 09, 2011
- Hope England nightmare won't be repeated: Dravid - Jan 11, 2012
- Pattinson taps England bowling coach to tackle India - Dec 23, 2011
- Indians will have trouble on quick pitches: Taylor - Dec 22, 2011
- India to make fresh start against New Zealand (Preview) - Aug 22, 2012
- Windies captain Sammy all praise for young teammates - Nov 09, 2011
- India 329/3 against New Zealand on day one of Test - Nov 04, 2010
- India likely to retain winning team against Kiwis - Aug 30, 2012
- Playing at home motivates me: Virender Sehwag (Interview) (World Cup Countdown) - Feb 01, 2011
- Tendulkar would be happy to see an Indian break his record (Roundup) - Mar 25, 2012
- Bowlers executed plans exceptionally: Warne - Apr 29, 2011
- We have to forget the defeat and move on: Taylor - Aug 30, 2012
- Tait all praise for Rahul Dravid's mental toughness - Sep 17, 2011
- I must improve my batting, says Sehwag - Feb 21, 2012
- Harbhajan thanks Tendulkar for adding variety to his bowling - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: dravid, fireman, girlfriend, international cricket, june 14, l word, laughter, left hander, odi, pitch, st john, tendulkar, virender sehwag, vivian richards, vocabulary, weren, west indies, wicket, wickets, world champions