Alonso wins dramatic Malaysian GP, Force India in top-10March 25th, 2012 - 7:48 pm ICT by IANS
Sepang (Malaysia), March 25 (IANS) Fernando Alonso warded off Sergio Perez’s challenge to record an unexpected victory for Ferrari in the rain-affected Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix here Sunday while Sahara Force India secured their first double points finish of the season.
Alonso crossed the chequered flag just 2.2 seconds ahead of Mexican Perez, who ran his Sauber wide with six laps to go, giving the Spaniard a much needed breather.
McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton finished third from pole position for the second consecutive time in a race that was stopped after eight laps due to heavy rain at the Sepang International Circuit.
Alonso, who started eighth, took full advantage of the 51-minute break as he took the lead after Jenson Button in the other McLaren contacted HRT’s Narain Karthikeyan on lap 15. The incident spoiled Button’s race as he completed the 56-lap race in 14th place with the Indian finishing 21st.
Karthikeyan also collided with Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel on lap 48, pushing the reigning World Champion from fourth to 11th position.
Force India’s Paul di Resta and Nico Hulkenberg finished seventh and ninth after an ordinary qualifying Saturday when they were 14th and 16th fastest.
The Silverstone-based team would be satisfied with the result considering mid-field rivals Toro Rosso and Williams could only manage either of their cars in the top-10.
While it was a sweet win for Ferrari win after a dreadful start to the season, the Mercedes team struggled through out the eventful race after an impressive qualifying.
Michael Schumacher came 10th from third on the grid while Nico Rosberg dropped six grid places to end the race in 13th place.
- German GP: Alonso zooms to second straight pole - Jul 21, 2012
- Button wins Australian GP, Force India's Di Resta gets a point - Mar 18, 2012
- Chinese GP: Rosberg takes maiden F1 pole, Force India out of top-10 - Apr 14, 2012
- Vettel takes pole, di Resta 10th in Bahrain - Apr 21, 2012
- Di Resta earns four points for Force India - Sep 09, 2012
- Maldonado wins maiden F1 race, Hulkenberg comes 10th - May 13, 2012
- Force India's Hulkenberg finishes fourth in Belgium - Sep 02, 2012
- Force India's Di Resta feels making Q3 will be tough - Mar 23, 2012
- McLaren lock front row in Italy - Sep 08, 2012
- Button wins in chaotic Belgian GP - Sep 02, 2012
- Force India's di Resta 8th fastest in Canadian GP qualifying - Jun 10, 2012
- Hamilton takes pole in Malaysian GP, Force India disappoint - Mar 24, 2012
- Button storms to victory in Hungarian GP, di Resta seventh - Jul 31, 2011
- Untouchable Vettel wins Indian GP - Oct 30, 2011
- Hamilton bags pole in Australia - Mar 17, 2012
Tags: chequered flag, consecutive time, fernando alonso, force india, heavy rain, lap race, malaysian gp, malaysian grand prix, mercedes team, michael schumacher, mid field, narain karthikeyan, nico hulkenberg, rosberg, s paul, sebastian vettel, sepang international circuit, sergio perez, unexpected victory, world champion