Alonso rules out Spain changing tactics for RonaldoJune 26th, 2012 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Donetsk, June 26 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The attacking threat of Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo will not force Spain to change their approach when they face Portugal in the Euro 2012 semi-final here Wednesday, Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso said.
Ronaldo endured a slow start to the tournament but has scored three goals in Portugal’s last two games to give his side victories over the Netherlands in the group stage and the Czech Republic in the quarter-final.
“For all the talk about Ronaldo, we won’t change our style and we don’t have a special marking plan,” Alonso said on the UEFA website Monday.
“We’ll study his play and we might make minor adjustments but our best defence is to play as a team and not give him space.”
Ronaldo has never scored against Spain.
Portugal inflicted a 4-0 thrashing on Spain in their last meeting, a friendly in November 2010, five months after Spain beat Portugal 1-0 in the last 16 of the World Cup.
Their last meeting at a European championship came in Portugal in 2004, when the then-hosts beat Spain 1-0 to send them home before the knockout stages.
- Euro 2012: Spain beat Portugal 4-2 on penalties, reach final - Jun 28, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain edge Portugal for third-straight Euro final (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- 'Big Smiles' for Portugal after quarterfinal win: Ronaldo - Jun 22, 2012
- Alonso sends Spain past France, into Euro 2012 semis - Jun 24, 2012
- Iniesta named player of Euro 2012 - Jul 02, 2012
- Blanc should stay with France: Benzema - Jun 24, 2012
- Zenit can win Champions League in two years: Malafeev - Sep 09, 2012
- Denmark cooking up sensation for Germany: Eriksen - Jun 17, 2012
- Euro 2012: Spain wary of Irish fighting spirit, says Xabi Alonso - Jun 14, 2012
- Euro 2012: Portugal beating Denmark a 'just' result, says coach - Jun 14, 2012
- Ronaldo heads Portugal into semifinal, downs Czechs - Jun 22, 2012
- Euro 2012: Buffon hopes for one more shock from Italy - Jul 01, 2012
- Money not the root of my sadness: Ronaldo - Sep 05, 2012
- Portugal calm despite win-or-bust Denmark test - Jun 13, 2012
- Euro 2012: Ukraine coach slams fans for jeering own team - Jun 16, 2012
Tags: best defence, bs, changing tactics, cristiano ronaldo, czech republic, donetsk, euro 2012, five months, group stage, hosts, knockout stages, midfielder, minor adjustments, ria novosti, ronaldo, spain portugal, two games, uefa, world cup, xabi alonso