All top athletes will be present at Glasgow CWG: ScottOctober 16th, 2010 - 4:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 16 (ANI): All the games’ top stars will be present during the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games, John Scott, chief executive of the organising committee, has said.
The world’s fastest man Usain Bolt, many of the UK’s most successful sportsmen and women, including Paula Radcliffe, Jessica Ennis, Victoria Pendleton, Beth Tweddle and Mo Farah decided not to compete at the just concluded Delhi Games.
Scott said he had been talking to athletes in Delhi and around the world to drum up support for the games in Scotland’s largest city.
“Obviously you want to get all the big names, you do because it is a fabulous platform. They are here to perform they want to do their absolute best. We are absolutely adamant we are about the sport and everything should flow out from the athletes, to be athlete- centred, focused,” The Scotsman quoted him, as saying.
“If you create the environment for that you will get a fabulous show and if the show is of the right quality, the people will love it, broadcasters will love it and it will be a great Games,” he added.
But last night two former Lord Provosts of Glasgow — Michael Kelly and Alex Mosson — criticised Scott and accused him of raising unnecessary negative publicity for the Glasgow games.
Kelly said: “I don’t understand why John Scott is saying this, especially since some Scottish athletes chose not to go to Delhi. He’s raising a straw man for someone to knock down.” (ANI)
- Olympics: Jamaica celebrates historic 200m one-two-three - Aug 10, 2012
- London Olympics to go down as Athletes' Games: IOC chief - Aug 13, 2012
- Bolt will face stiff challenge from Blake: Holmes - May 04, 2012
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Two more stars pullout from CWG citing fatigue - Sep 03, 2010
- UK athletes to miss out 2012 London Olympics' opening ceremony - Mar 11, 2011
- Bolt confirmed for Weltklasse Zurich - May 17, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt admits to pressure ahead of 100m conquest - Aug 07, 2012
- No changing false-start rule, says world athletics body - Sep 05, 2011
- James, Bolt in running for World Athlete of the Year award - Oct 04, 2011
- Brit withdrawals from Delhi CWG may hit winning momentum: UK Athletics chief - Oct 02, 2010
- Usain Bolt turns DJ to celebrate his world record - Aug 13, 2012
- Commonwealth Games more important than ever: London Olympics chief - Oct 13, 2010
- Sprint legend Quarrie says team support boosted Jamaica - Aug 22, 2012
- Glasgow to be ready with facilities two years before 2014 Commonwealth Games - Oct 13, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,