All India Amateurs Golf: Chikka knocked out, Verma enters semisJanuary 20th, 2012 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 20 (IANS) There were upsets galore Friday as many of the leading contenders fell by the wayside on a long day when the prequarter and quarterfinal matches were gone through at the Indian Golf Union’s flagship event, the 111th All India Amateur Golf Championships, at the Chandigarh Golf Club here Friday.
Two-time defending champion S. Chikkarangappa was the biggest casualty as he lost to S.K.Pappu in the pre-quarter finals in the morning session. The unfancied Pappu beat the India No.1 Chikka 2 and 1 and then scored another fine win in quarters beating Sri Lanka Vijita Bhandara by the same margin. Chikka was looking for the first hat-trick of All India titles since 1930.
Also going out on a day of upsets was Khalin Joshi. Joshi lost to fellow Bangalorean Syed Saqib Ahmed in the pre-quarters on the 19th hole.
The experienced Gagan Verma in the morning beat Trishul Chinappa 1-up and then defeated Honey Baisoya of Delhi 2 and 1. He now meets S.K.Pappu in the semis.
Angad Cheema also came through to last four beating HS Kang 1-up in quarters.
One of the oldest amateur championships in the world, the All India Amateur Championship started in 1892 and is run by the Indian Golf Union. It has a 36-hole stroke play qualifying competition over the first two days from which the leading 32 players proceed to the match play knockout event.
Quarterfinals: Angad Cheema beat HS Kang 1-up; Syed Saqib Ahmed beat IPS Mann 6 and 4; Gagan Verma beat Honey Baisoya 2 and 1; SK Pappu beat Vijita Bhandara 2 and 1;
Pre-quarterfinals: HS Kang beat Raghav Bhandari 5 and 4; Angad Cheema beat Mohd Nazim 2 and 1; Syed Saqib Ahmed beat Khalin Joshi 19th hole; IPS Mann beat Karan Taunk 4 and 3; Honey Baisoya beat Simarjeet Singh 1-up; Gagan Verma beat Trishul Chinappa 1-up; Vijita Bhandara beat Shubhankar Sharma 4 and 2; SK Pappu beat S Chikkrangappa 2 and 1.
- Chikka, Honey on course, English players out in All-India Amateur - Jan 19, 2012
- Baisoya joins Chikka, Angad, Khalin at Eastern India Matchplay semis - Dec 23, 2011
- Gagan to meet Angad in finals of All India Amateur golf - Jan 22, 2012
- Chikka rallies in final round; wins individual, team Inter-state golf titles - Jun 17, 2011
- Khalin beats Chikka to win Samarvir Sahi golf - Mar 02, 2012
- Chikka meets Baisoya in Eastern India Matchplay golf final - Dec 24, 2011
- Syed Saqib wins North India golf title - Mar 16, 2012
- Chikka leads Jasjit by three shots in Samarvir Sahi golf - Feb 28, 2012
- Samarvir Sahi golf: Khalin Joshi leads by two over Chikka - Mar 01, 2012
- Baisoya, Bhandari top strokeplay in All India Amateur golf - Jan 18, 2012
- Chadha moves to top, Chikka lying second at Inter State Golf - Jun 16, 2011
- Ashbeer, Honey progress in Eastern India Matchplay golf - Dec 21, 2011
- Angad Cheema wins All India golf title ahead of birthday - Jan 22, 2012
- Chikka stays in lead at Samarvir Sahi golf - Feb 29, 2012
- Chikka takes two-shot lead in North India golf - Mar 15, 2012
Tags: 19th hole, amateur championship, amateur championships, amateur golf championships, angad, bhandara, bhandari, chandigarh golf club, cheema, chikka, flagship event, golf union, joshi, knockout event, match play, nazim, pappu, quarterfinal matches, stroke play, time defending champion