Alfred Hitchcock may have made secret cameo appearance in dragAugust 17th, 2008 - 2:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug 17 (ANI): Alfred Hitchcock may a secret guest appearance in one of his most famous films, his fans believe.
Debate is raging on movie message boards over whether a plump, jowly woman who briefly features as a train passenger in North by Northwest was actually the acclaimed film director in drag.
Hitchcock was known for making quirky cameo appearances in his movies, but was never previously thought to have played a woman.
The key scene comes around 44 minutes into North by Northwest, which was released in 1959.
The woman, who wears a turquoise dress and blue and white hat, is one of several passengers who have their tickets checked by an inspector.
She has no dialogue in the film, but in the original script dug out by Hitchcock fans she exchanges three terse lines with the guard.
She is described in the stage directions as a little huffy, after the inspector queries whether she has handed over her ticket.
The womans resemblance to the director’’s famous fat-cheeked silhouette was first pointed out on an Alfred Hitchcock fan forum.
Davey P was one of several commenters who thinks the theory may have some credence.
We know from some of Hitch’’s biographies that he wasn”t averse to dressing up as woman for the amusement of guests at his house, the Telegraph quoted him, as writing on the Alfred Hitchcok Wiki Forum.
Also, one of the central themes of North by Northwest is that nobody is who they seem to be, he added.
But other commenters have pointed out that Hitchcocks ample belly should make more of a bulge than is visible under the womans dress. (ANI)
- Anthony Hopkins to play Hitchcock - Dec 08, 2011
- 'Hitchcock' role came to Hopkins years ago - Jul 16, 2012
- Hopkins likely to play Hitchcock - Jan 25, 2011
- Miller to play Tippi Hedren - Dec 05, 2011
- Anthony Hopkins Might Enact The Role Of Alfred Hitchcock - Jan 25, 2011
- Hitchcock film screened after 80 years - Sep 22, 2011
- Original score from Alfred Hitchcock's 'Psycho' on sale for $75K - Mar 14, 2011
- Anthony Hopkins To Play Alfred Hitchcock On Big Screen? - Jan 23, 2011
- Alfred Hitchcock Flick "Strangers On A Train" Shown On TCM - Apr 18, 2010
- Finnair advance bookings surge by 25 percent - Feb 18, 2012
- Liz Hurley films 'Wonder Woman' in sexy dress - Mar 16, 2011
- Anthony Hopkins in talks to play Alfred Hitchcock - Jan 25, 2011
- What makes the Ultimate Horror Movie? - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Source Code': An engrossing, entertaining thriller (IANS Film Review, Rating:****) - Apr 30, 2011
- James Cameron to be honoured with Producers Guild award - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: 44 minutes, alfred hitchcock, alfred hitchcok, bulge, cameo appearance, cameo appearances, central themes, commenters, credence, dialogue, fan forum, film director, guest appearance, hitchcock fans, north by northwest, original script, resemblance, silhouette, stage directions, telegraph