Alexis adds to Barca injury woesSeptember 14th, 2012 - 1:19 pm ICT by IANS
Madrid, Sep 14 (IANS) FC Barcelona said that Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez will miss Saturday’s La Liga away game against Getafe.
Alexis returned from playing two World Cup qualifying matches for his country with what the club described Thursday as a slight muscle tear on the left side of his groin which means he will not be available at the weekend and is also doubtful for next week’s Champions League debut against Spartak Moscow, reports Xinhua.
The loss of Alexis, who suffered several muscle injuries last season, comes just a day after it was confirmed midfielder Andres Iniesta will also be sidelined for the next two weeks.
Iniesta also suffered his injury while on international duty playing for Spain against Georgia Tuesday.
Iniesta, just two weeks ago, was named the UEFA player of the year.
However, the injuries to Alexis and Iniesta could open the door for Cesc Fabregas or David Villa to return to the starting eleven in Getafe.
Villa scored a penalty for Spain against Saudi Arabia last Friday while Fabregas, whose early season form has been questioned by some, helped set Roberto Soldado up for Spain’s winning goal in Georgia after coming on as a substitute in the game.
Fortunately for Barca, Leo Messi and Javier Mascherano both returned unscathed from Argentina’s 1-1 draw in Peru.
Left-back Jordi Alba is currently suffering from flu, but should recover in time to be included in the squad to travel to Getafe.
- Barca start on long road to Wembley - Sep 18, 2012
- Another injury setback for Barca as Fabregas tears a muscle - Oct 02, 2011
- Torres dropped by Del Bosque for friendly - Feb 24, 2012
- Barcelona kick off Champions League defence against AC Milan - Sep 12, 2011
- Navas and Monreal back in Spain's squad for England, Costa Rica friendlies - Nov 08, 2011
- Iniesta out for two weeks - Sep 13, 2012
- Barca beat Valencia to enter Copa del Rey final - Feb 09, 2012
- Valencia defender Alba signs agreement to join Barcelona - Mar 22, 2012
- Muscle injury for Barca's Abidal - Oct 03, 2011
- Spain coach Del Bosque names Euro squad - May 27, 2012
Tags: alexis, andres iniesta, cesc fabregas, champions league, fc barcelona, getafe, groin, injury woes, javier mascherano, last friday, league debut, leo messi, muscle injuries, muscle tear, roberto soldado, saudi arabia, spartak moscow, winger, world cup qualifying matches, xinhua