Albie Morkel a big threat for Australia: PontingMarch 29th, 2009 - 1:37 pm ICT by ANI
Pretoria, Mar.29 (ANI): Australia cricket captain Ricky Ponting has identified big-hitting South Africa all-rounder Albie Morkel as the player to stop in the Pro20 international on Sunday.
Morkel smashed four boundaries and two sixes to score 37 off 19 balls as South Africa beat Australia by four wickets on Friday to win the first Pro20 match at the Wanderers.
He also starred with similar late-innings hitting as the Proteas won a one-day international series 4-1 in Australia in January.
“He probably won a couple of games single-handedly with his batting in Australia. His power hitting (Friday) probably got them over the line again,” Ponting said.
“So he is a very, very dangerous hitter. They use him very well. They hold him off as late as they possibly can and let him go in for the final onslaught really,” he added.
Pro20 squads:South Africa: Johan Botha (captain), Yusuf Abdulla, Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher, AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Herschelle Gibbs, Johan Louw, Albie Morkel, Justin Ontong, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Roelof van der Merwe and Vaughn van Jaarsveld
Australia: Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke, Nathan Bracken, Callum Ferguson, Brett Geeves, Brad Haddin, Shane Harwood, Nathan Hauritz, James Hopes, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Ben Laughlin, Marcus North, David Warner and Cameron White. (ANI)
- Players going under the IPL hammer - Jan 07, 2011
- India elect to field against South Africa - Mar 30, 2012
- South Africa dump failed opener McKenzie and pace bowler Morne Morkel - Mar 11, 2009
- Super Kings opt to field against Daredevils - May 12, 2012
- Final squads of 11 teams for Champions League named - Aug 22, 2011
- This is how 10 teams shape up for IPL-4 - Apr 07, 2011
- Proteas World Cup Twenty20 squad named - May 05, 2009
- Pakistan opt to bat against South Africa - May 10, 2010
- Final scoreboard: India vs. South Africa, T20 - Mar 31, 2012
- Teams for World Twenty20 cricket - Apr 29, 2010
- England opt to bat against South Africa - Sep 27, 2009
- South Africa decide to bat against New Zealand - May 07, 2010
- Champions Trophy: South Africa put Sri Lanka in to bat - Sep 22, 2009
- Daredevils elect to field against Super Kings - Apr 10, 2012
- After Ponting-Clarke century stand, Johnson-Cummins bowl Australia to victory - Oct 20, 2011
Tags: ab de villiers, cameron white, captain michael, captain ricky ponting, cricket captain, dale steyn, dangerous hitter, david hussey, geeves, hashim amla, herschelle gibbs, johan botha, mark boucher, michael hussey, mitchell johnson, nathan bracken, nathan hauritz, robin peterson, van jaarsveld, yusuf abdulla