Akram lauds decision to include Pathan in Indian teamJuly 21st, 2012 - 7:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 21 (IANS) Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram Saturday praised the decision of Indian selectors to pick Irfan Pathan for the ongoing five match One-day series against Sri Lanka as well as the World Twenty20.
Pathan though was lucky to be included in the Indian side for the Sri Lankan tour as he came into the team only as a replacement for injured pacer Vinay Kumar.
Akram, who is the bowling coach of the Indian Premier League (IPL) team Kolkata Knight Riders, also lauded the inclusion of medium pacer Lakshmipathy Balaji in the T20 preliminary squad.
“Balaji is only 30 years old and I am glad that Indian selectors picked him. He is experienced with the slower bouncers, yorkers, and swings the new ball as well,” Akram said.
Balaji, who is yet to debut in T20 for the national squad, was rewarded for his consistent performance for the Knight Riders in fifth edition of the IPL.
“I think Balaji will be very handy and useful for India. I know him very well as he plays for my team Kolkata Knight Riders. He has clever bowling strategies and a very good mindset,” Akram added. The Tamil Nadu pacer last played an international game versus Sri Lanka in February 2009.
The Pakistani pacer, who is always been a supporter of Pathan, said that the he was the ideal person to fill the vacant all-rounder spot in the Indian squad.
“He only needs a longer run to get his confidence back,” suggested Akram.
“I think Pathan is a better choice than any other all-rounder in India. He has improved a lot. I think it’s important for Pathan and India that they need somebody at number seven or eight who can bowl and bat and this guy has got the ability,” said Akram.
- Yuvraj included in World T20 preliminary squad - Jul 18, 2012
- Akram excited to have Unadkat: KKR CEO - Jan 09, 2011
- Knight Riders thrash Mumbai, step closer to playoffs (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- KKR's past is past, we are looking forward to a good future: Balaji - Apr 18, 2011
- Knight Riders go on top with six-wicket win over Daredevils (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Morgan in England's Test side, to miss IPL play-offs - May 22, 2011
- Knight Riders outclass Royal Challengers - Apr 10, 2012
- Ganguly picks India World T20 favourites, Windies dark horses - Aug 28, 2012
- Knight Riders beat Daredevils, qualify for main IPL final(lead) - May 23, 2012
- Knight Riders cruise to five-wicket win over Chargers (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Knight Riders have gambled by picking Lee, says Akram - Jan 11, 2011
- Knight Riders opt to bowl against Deccan Chargers - Apr 22, 2012
- Daredevils set Knight Riders 154-run target - May 07, 2012
- KKR is a balanced side, will do well: Akram - Apr 03, 2012
- Sangakkara tips Knight Riders to win IPL - May 10, 2012
Tags: balaji, bouncers, bowling coach, captain wasim akram, consistent performance, inclusion, international game, ipl, knight riders, medium pacer, mindset, New Delhi, number seven, pakistan captain, pathan, premier league, selectors, sri lankan, swings, tamil nadu