Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing ChampionshipAugust 18th, 2011 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 18 (IANS) Olympic Games 2008 bronze medallist Vijender Singh and Akhil Kumar have been selected in the 10-member Indian boxing team for the World Boxing Championship, first Olympic qualification tournament, at Baku, Azerbaijan, from Sep 22.
The top ten boxers in each weight category will qualify for the 2012 London Olympics except heavy and super heavy category where only six will qualify. The second and final Olympic qualification tournament for Asia will be held in Kazakhstan in March 2012.
Devendro Singh, the national youth champion, has been the surprise inclusion in the team. He defeated Asian Championship silver medallist Amandeep Singh and former youth World Champion Nanao Singh to stake a claim for the light fly weight.
In the 56 kg category, there was tough fight for selection among 2008 Olympic quarterfinalist and 2006 Commonwealth Games gold medallist Akhil Kumar, Youth Olympics 2010 silver medallist Shiva Thapa, national champion Chhote Lal Yadav, and former Olympic quarterfinalist Jitender Kumar.
However, it was Akhil who got the nod from the selectors because of his experience.
In 75 kg Vijender, and in 81 kg Dinesh Kumar emerged winners. In 69 kg, Asian Games 2010 gold medallist Vikas Krishan did not have much opposition.
In 91 kg, Asian Games silver medallist Manpreet Singh defeated 2010 Commonwealth Games gold medallist and Asian Games 2010 bronze medallist Paramjeet Samota.
Samota then gave his trials in the +91 kg category where he comfortably defeated Arun Hooda, Ram Singh, Manjeet and Narender.
The Indian team will leave for a training camp in France Sep 10-21 before their participation in the World Championships at Baku.
Team: L. Devendro Singh (49 kg), Suranjoy Singh (52 kg), Akhil Kumar (56 kg), Jai Bhagwan (60 kg), Manoj Kumar (64 kg), Vikas Krishan (69 kg), Vijender Singh (75 kg), Dinesh Kumar (81 kg), Manpreet Singh (91 kg), and Paramjeet Samota (+91).
- Samota, Manpreet lead 10-member Indian team for Kazakh boxing meet - Feb 08, 2012
- Suranjoy, Sumit in second round of Asian Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
- Indian boxers to return from world meet Tuesday - Oct 10, 2011
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Shiva youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics - Apr 11, 2012
- Eight boxers to represent Indian at Asian Championships - Jul 21, 2011
- Eight Indian boxers to take part in Belgrade tournament - Apr 15, 2011
- Asian Games boxing: Vijender wins gold, India finish with nine medals (Seond Lead) - Nov 26, 2010
- Indians boxers asked to switch to aggressive mode - Apr 02, 2012
- Samota, Thapa win gold at Belgrade boxing event - Apr 24, 2011
- Indian boxers aiming for gold in London Olympics - Jan 20, 2012
- Asian Games boxing: Five Indians stay in gold hunt; bronze for four - Nov 24, 2010
- Indian boxers off to a good start in Cuba - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: 2006 commonwealth games, 2010 commonwealth games, 2012 london olympics, akhil kumar, amandeep singh, asian championship, asian games 2010, baku azerbaijan, boxing championship, boxing team, commonwealth games gold, gold medallist, jai bhagwan, manpreet singh, olympic games 2008, olympic qualification tournament, olympics 2010, world boxing, youth champion, youth olympics