‘Ajmal’s overdose of “doosras” against Proteas failed the purpose’November 16th, 2010 - 6:36 pm ICT by ANI
Dubai, Nov 16 (ANI): Pakistan spinner Saeed Ajmal failed to weave the ‘Doosra’ magic like his compatriot Saqlain Mushtaq in the ongoing Test series against South Africa because he was probably trying the trick too frequently.
“Saqlain’s success with it in the Tests or in the ODI’s was because he bowled it sparingly as a surprise delivery, as did Muttiah Muralitharan later, to pulverise many a batsmen,” the Dawn said.
“If only Saeed Ajmal had done his homework or had studied the two great bowlers, he would have been a lot more successful bowler than he is today,” it added.
It noted that it is “alright when he bowls a couple every over in limited overs cricket where batsmen, looking for runs, play across the line to falter against that trajectory.”
“In Tests, however, it is a different ball game,” it maintained.
On Monday, when two experienced batsmen of the caliber of Jacques Kallis and Hashim Amla, with their powers of concentration and skill, began to frustrate Pakistan in a record stand, Ajmal’s overdose of doosras- after every second delivery- was not much of a problem for them.
‘The Doosra’ is an off-spinner’s mystery delivery, which goes the other way rather than spinning into the batsman. Disguising it as an off-break, Mushtaq would bowl that ball occasionally with the back flick of one of his fingers to baffle the best of the batsmen.
His skill received the publicity it deserved during a match at The Bellerive Oval Hobart in 1999 when Saqlain mesmerised the Australian batsmen, picking up six wickets for 46, a haul which should have won Pakistan the Test to remain in the series. (ANI)
- Saqlain backs Ajmal's doosra - Jan 24, 2012
- Doosra essential to survive in international cricket: Pak tweaker Ajmal - Dec 22, 2009
- "Doosra" cannot be bowled legally: Michael Holding - Apr 27, 2011
- Ajmal to target 'key man' Kallis in Test series against South Africa - Oct 16, 2010
- Doosra cannot be bowled legally: Holding - Apr 27, 2011
- Ajmal passes doosra tips to Worcestershire team-mate - Feb 29, 2012
- Pak team may replace Kaneria with Ajmal for Headingley Test against Australia - Jul 19, 2010
- OZ spin legends, coaches dub 'doosra' illegal - Jul 27, 2009
- New Zealand Cricket appoints Saqlain Mushtaq as spin consultant - Aug 09, 2009
- 'Saeed Ajmal can be a match-winner with little variation,' says ex-Pak spinner - Aug 12, 2010
- Holding's 'illegal Doosra' comments directed at Pak spinners "not prudent": Qasim - May 01, 2011
- Ajmal looking forward to unleashing his Doosra's on spin friendly Lankan pitches - Jun 29, 2009
- Ashwin achieves career-best ranking, Sachin out of top 10 - Aug 27, 2012
- Asia Cup: Sri Lanka bowled out for 188 - Mar 15, 2012
- Saqlain anticipates close Pakistan-England Test series - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: ajmal, amla, ball game, batsman, bellerive oval hobart, bowlers, caliber, compatriot, concentration, flick, jacques kallis, mushtaq, odi, proteas, saeed, spinner, surprise delivery, test series, trajectory, wickets