Ajax to miss Sigthorsson for four more monthsSeptember 13th, 2012 - 10:06 pm ICT by IANS
The Hague, Sep 13 (IANS) Ajax will be without striker Kolbeinn Sigthorsson for at least another four months due to a shoulder injury, the Amsterdam based club announced Thursday.
The 22-year-old Icelandic striker has had problems with his shoulder in the past and recently dislocated his left shoulder again, reports Xinhua.
After intensive investigation club and player decided for a rest period, but little progress was made in the past period.
Sigthorsson, who came over from AZ in 2011, already missed the majority of last season due to a fatigue fracture in his ankle.
He only played nineteen of the 51 games he could have played for Ajax.
As a replacement coach Frank de Boer opted for Siem de Jong as central striker this season, although the latter prefers to play as a midfielder.
Ryan Babel, who came over from Hoffenheim in August, is the other alternative.
- Ajax close in on Dutch title - Apr 23, 2012
- Boerrigter new face in Dutch squad, Babel makes comeback - Nov 04, 2011
- Ajax lose El Hamdaoui, Vertonghen in transfers - Jul 12, 2012
- Ajax, El Hamdaoui blame each other for failed transfer - Feb 01, 2012
- Dutch football league title becomes two-team race - Mar 26, 2012
- Ajax capture 31st Dutch league title - May 03, 2012
- Uncapped Narsingh and John in Dutch squad against England - Feb 24, 2012
- Ajax appoints Overmars as sporting director - Jul 07, 2012
- Ajax signs Schone, lures Narsingh and Moisander - Apr 20, 2012
- Danish international Eriksen gets extra rest due to fatigue - Jun 21, 2012
- Van Marwijk includes uncapped Willems, Narsingh in Euro 2012 squad - May 27, 2012
- Dutch Cup match abandoned after keeper kicks fan - Dec 22, 2011
- Van Marwijk drops Maduro, Emanuelson in Dutch Euro 2012 squad - May 16, 2012
- Parents of Ajax fan are in hiding for fear of reprisal - Dec 24, 2011
- Suspended Ajax-AZ match to be replayed without spectators - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: ajax, amsterdam, coach frank, de jong, fatigue fracture, four months, frank de boer, games, hague, hoffenheim, intensive investigation, left shoulder, midfielder, rest period, ryan babel, shoulder injury, xinhua