Aisam-Bopanna may play against Bryan brothers in fund-raising match for flood victimsSeptember 29th, 2010 - 2:38 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Sep 29 (ANI): The tennis duo comprising India’s Rohan Bopanna and Pakistan’s Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi may get another chance to play against the top-seeded Bryan brothers, this time not for a trophy but to raise funds for millions of people affected by the worst floods in Pakistan’s history.
In a meeting with senior Jang Group officials, Aisam happily agreed to the idea of playing a doubles match together with Bopanna for the noble purpose, The News reported.
The idea is to have a doubles match between Aisam-Bopanna and Bob-Mike Bryan in Dubai this December, with other top tennis stars like Roger Federer and Sania Mirza also being invited to be a part of the show, the paper said.
While Aisam is all for it, the Bryan brothers are also thought to be keen to do their bit for the flood victims in Pakistan.
“It’s a great cause,” Aisam said, adding, “Millions have been affected by the floods and need our help. I’m ready to do my bit.”
Meanwhile, Aisam also welcomed the idea of playing a match against Bopanna at the Wagah Border, in a bid to promote peace between Pakistan and India.
“I am an ambassador for peace,” said Aisam. “I believe that our region can only progress if we have lasting peace here and if I can play a role I would happily do it.”
Aisam’s parents, Ehitsham and Nausheen, expressed their pride over his achievements. “Aisam has always been a hardworking boy, completely focused. He has made our entire country proud,” said Nausheen, a former Pakistan champion.
Apart from being praised for their skills on court, Bopanna and Qureshi have been receiving accolades from the western media for their humanitarian goals and bringing the two countries closer. (ANI)
- Pak tennis sensation Aisam gets grand welcome at home - Sep 16, 2010
- Aisam Qureshi hopeful of winning men's doubles final against Bryan brothers - Sep 10, 2010
- Pak tennis star Qureshi fails to win first US Open mixed doubles crown - Sep 10, 2010
- Bopanna and Qureshi are now in big league - Sep 11, 2010
- Bopanna-Qureshi in French Open quarterfinals - May 30, 2011
- Bopanna-Bhupathi in quarters of Madrid Open - May 10, 2012
- Bopanna-Aisam duo sails into Shanghai quarter-finals - Oct 15, 2010
- Paes and Bhupathi in third round at Miami - Mar 30, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi reach US Open final (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Paes-Bhupathi advance to semis, Bopanna-Qureshi out - Aug 20, 2011
- Stockholm Open: Bopanna-Qureshi in quarters - Oct 19, 2011
- Qureshi rules out bitterness with Bopanna after split - Nov 30, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi cruise into US Open final - Sep 09, 2010
- Rogers Cup: Bopanna-Qureshi in quarters; Sania-Elena ousted - Aug 11, 2011
- Bopanna-Qureshi go down fighting in US Open final - Sep 11, 2010
Tags: aisam ul haq, aisam ul haq qureshi, ambassador, champion, dubai, flood victims, floods in pakistan, humanitarian goals, jang group, lasting peace, match, nausheen, noble purpose, roger federer, rohan bopanna, sania mirza, tennis stars, trophy, wagah border, worst floods