AIFF weighs pros and cons of ‘Goal 2011′ projectMarch 12th, 2009 - 8:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) Top officials of All India Football Federation (AIFF) Thursday discussed the grand plan of giving central contracts to 25 players, who will play exclusively for the national team till the 2011 Asia Cup in Doha.
The project, termed ‘Goal 2011′, was been mooted by national coach Bob Houghton and the members discussed its pros and cons.
“Today it was an informal gathering to discuss this project. Next month we will present a final plan to acting president Praful Patel,” a top AIFF official told IANS. The plan has been approved by the executive committee and if passed by the development committee is likely to be implemented from the coming season.
According to the project, the 25 players selected won’t be contracted with any club and their present salaries will be matched by the AIFF.
Under Houghton, India have qualified for the final rounds of the Asia Cup for the first time in 24 years.
- Need club's help to realise 'Goal 2011' project: Houghton - Mar 13, 2009
- Houghton hires lawyer against AIFF, denies racist comments - Apr 11, 2011
- Footballers get 15 percent pay hike, Houghton stays - May 07, 2010
- AIFF censures Chettri for praising Houghton - Apr 20, 2011
- Houghton's five-year tenure ends after AIFF drops all charges (Lead) - Apr 23, 2011
- India's football coach Houghton denies racism charges - Feb 26, 2011
- AIFF president in damage control mode after Houghton resigns - May 04, 2010
- AIFF has no choice but to renew Houghton's contract - May 06, 2010
- Insulted Houghton resigns, Patel asks him to stay on (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- AIFF rejects Bob's plan; IMG-RIL to sponsor under-15 team - Aug 25, 2010
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter to visit India next month - Feb 13, 2012
- I-League clubs skip last meeting of ad-hoc committee - May 04, 2012
- Houghton quits as India's football coach - May 03, 2010
- AIFF president meets team in Dubai to boost confidence - Jan 04, 2011
- Goal 2011 a big challenge for football body and sponsors - Jul 11, 2009
Tags: 24 years, acting president, asia cup, bob houghton, central contracts, coach bob, development committee, doha, executive committee, final rounds, football federation, India, national coach, New Delhi, praful patel, pros and cons, salaries