AIFF to felicitate heroes of 1951 and ‘62 Asian GamesAugust 15th, 2012 - 6:07 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS) The All India Football Federation (AIFF) will be felicitating the surviving members of the gold medal winning 1951 and 1962 Asian Games teams, on the occasion of the federation’s 75th anniversary next week.
“We will felicitate the living members of the 1951 and the 1962 Asia Games gold medal winning teams. It is unfortunate that several members of the two teams are not alive. The AIFF’s 75 years also coincides with the 50th anniversary of the 1962 gold winning feat. So, the AIFF has decided to honour the heroes who have given so much to Indian football,” an AIFF spokesperson said.
The Indian football team, led by the late Sailen Manna, won the gold medal in the inaugural Asian Games here here in 1951. It was on a solitary strike by the legendary Mewalal that India beat Iran 1-0 at the National Stadium here to win the gold medal.
Eleven years later, the team led by P.K. Banerjee won the gold medal beating South Korea 2-1 in the final of the Jakarta Asian Games.
List of players to be felicitated:
1951 Asian Games: Ahmed Khan (Bengal), T. Shanmugham (Mysore) and T.M. Verghese (Bombay)
1962 Asian Games: Prodyut Barman (Railways), O.Chandrasekhar (Bombay), Arun Ghosh (Bengal), F. Franco (Bombay), Prasanta Sinha (Bengal), P.K.Banerjee (Bengal), Chuni Goswami (Bengal), Tulshidas Balaram (Bengal), Arumanayagam (Bengal), Ethiraj (Services), D.M.K.Afzal (Andhra Pradesh)
- Sailen Manna - Factfile - Feb 27, 2012
- India's football heroes of Rome Olympics felicitated - Apr 13, 2011
- Olympian footballers remember 'Rahim Saab' on his birth centenary - Aug 17, 2009
- Olympian footballer Mewalal is no more (Lead) - Dec 27, 2008
- Legendary Jarnail Singh conferred Mohun Bagan Ratna posthumously - Jul 30, 2012
- Bengal rewards its National Games heroes - Jun 19, 2011
- Baichung gets inaugural Banga-Samman award - Feb 10, 2012
- FIFA secretary general to meet Ambani, Munjal - Sep 03, 2012
- Mary Kom gets Rs.2 lakh from Mamata, eyes Olympic gold at Rio - Sep 07, 2012
- Olympian footballer Sattar dead - Apr 24, 2011
- Jharkhand government felicitates CWG archers, ignores hockey player - Oct 20, 2010
- CWG medals winners get laptops from East Bengal - Oct 26, 2010
- Brazil eyes 20 medals at London Games - Jul 25, 2012
- Mamata regrets country's poor soccer standards (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Vijender gets 'Samsung Most Valued Performance Award' - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,