AIFF sets target to find sponsors for ArrowsMay 20th, 2011 - 8:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 20 (IANS) If the All India Football Federation (AIFF) cannot find a sponsor within a week for its highly publicised developmental project to prepare a youthful India team to try and qualify for the 2018 World Cup, its offshoot the Indian Arrows squad will be disbanded.
Indian Arrows, comprising mostly under-21 players, was formed last year to prepare them for the 2018 World Cup and as a first step they have been fielded in the elite I-League.
The AIFF is struggling to maintain the team within its Rs.7 crore annual budget as it shells out Rs.11 lakh a month as rent for the self-contained resort where the players are lodged in Gurgaon. And the players get paid between Rs.20 lakh-Rs.25 lakh a year. Domestic carrier Indigo picks up tabs for air travel of the team for I-League matches.
“We are talking to some sponsors with a May 31-deadline. If a sponsorship deal is not sealed by the month-end, AIFF’s emergency committee, comprising key federation office-bearers, will take a final call,” said AIFF secretary-general Kushal Das, after the executive committee meeting chaired by president Praful Patel Friday.
The AIFF has approached Pune-based industrialist Vishwajeet Kadam to sponsor the Arrows, but it is in no mood to sell the team. The federation somehow wants to keep the project going.
Despite their inexperience, the club, coached by Englishman Desmond Bulpin, has done moderately well in their maiden I-League season and with a match left they are currently lying at the 10th place in the 14-team points-table.
- Kolkata and Pune firms in the race to own Indian Arrows - May 30, 2011
- Kolkata-based Pailan Group likely to take over Indian Arrows - Jun 06, 2011
- AIFF signs five-year deal with Pailan Group for Indian Arrows - Jun 15, 2011
- AIFF XI to miss Ralte against ONGC in I-League - Dec 07, 2010
- We have to defend well against Qatar: Bulpin - Jun 16, 2011
- AIFF urges I-League clubs to release players for Indian Arrows - Jul 10, 2011
- AIFF to discuss proposed new I-League format with clubs - Feb 20, 2012
- I-League: AIFF XI in 1-1 draw against ONGC - Dec 08, 2010
- Big time football returns to Nehru Stadium with I-League - Apr 15, 2011
- I-League clubs skip last meeting of ad-hoc committee - May 04, 2012
- AIFF allows I-League clubs to register four overseas players - Jul 14, 2011
- AIFF at loggerheads with I-League clubs - Feb 21, 2012
- Armando drops Bhaichung along with 11 seniors from World Cup probables - Jun 02, 2011
- Backed by sponsors, AIFF plans junior team for I-league - Mar 25, 2010
- AIFF not to release Dempo's players for I-league derby - Dec 03, 2011
Tags: committee meeting, desmond, domestic carrier, emergency committee, englishman, executive committee, final call, football federation, gurgaon, india team, indian arrows, industrialist, inexperience, kadam, kushal das, offshoot, praful patel, secretary general, sponsorship deal, target