After French win, Sharapova eyes WimbledonJune 24th, 2012 - 3:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 24 (IANS/RIA Novosti) After winning the French Open tennis title, Maria Sharapova is now focussed on Wimbledon beginning Monday.
The 25-year-old is still basking in the glory of her victory over Italy’s Sara Errani at Roland Garros this month.
But she is aware there is serious work ahead. “I understand this victory will be with me forever,” said Sharapova.
“But, of course, when you come here, after a couple of days’ rest, it starts all over again.”
For the second successive year, Sharapova is skipping warm up tournaments at Eastbourne, Birmingham and the Netherlands to play at SW19 in her first grass-court event of the season.
“The main thing is I thought about my health,” Sharapova said. “I tried to plan my tournaments knowing that I have a lot of experience and an understanding of how my body reacts.
“I tried not to enter too many tournaments, especially ahead of this one.”
Sharapova takes on Moscow-born Australian Anastasia Rodionova in the first round.
“I know her, I played against her in Cincinnati last year and won,” she said.
“But a whole year has gone by, so you could say this is like a first encounter. It’ll be the first round on grass, it’s always the hardest.”
The Wimbledon starts Monday and ends July 8.
- Wimbledon: Murray to face Davydenko in first round - Jun 22, 2012
- Win at French Open shows ny determination: Sharapova - Jun 10, 2012
- Grass my worst surface: Davydenko - Jun 27, 2012
- Sharapova wins French Open, completes career Grand Slam (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Olympic tennis: Sharapova saunters past Peer - Jul 30, 2012
- Sharapova to cut her hair only on retiring - Jun 09, 2012
- Kuznetsova to stick with coach despite thrashing - Jun 04, 2012
- Sharapova beats Kvitova to enter French Open final (Lead) - Jun 08, 2012
- Sharapova stoic about losing No.1 spot - Jul 03, 2012
- Venus, Baghdatis continue Olympic charge - Jul 31, 2012
- Olympics: Sharapova sweats to oust Robson in round 2 - Aug 01, 2012
- Murray handed tricky Olympics first-round match - Jul 26, 2012
- Wimbledon: Sharapova knocked out; Williams survives scare (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sharapova happy with 2012 - Sep 08, 2012
- Wimbledon: Errani thrashed by record-breaker Shvedova - Jun 30, 2012
Tags: anastasia rodionova, bs, cincinnati, couple of days, eastbourne, first encounter, first grass, french open, french open tennis, grass court, june 24, maria sharapova, moscow, ria novosti, roland garros, sara errani, sw19, tennis title, victory, wimbledon