Afghan official sacked over concert featuring female singers without headscarvesMarch 29th, 2011 - 1:49 pm ICT by ANI
Kabul, Mar 29(ANI): The Deputy Governor of Afghanistan’s Helmand province, Abdul Satar Mirzakwal, has been sacked for organizing a concert that featured female performers without headscarves.
According to the BBC, Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai took the action against Mirzakwal after tribal elders complained that it was inappropriate.
“Women do not appear in public without wearing a burka and niqab in an Islamic country like Afghanistan. Mirzakwal should have ensured respect for Islamic traditions,” one official said.
The concert attracted about 12,000 people, and was hailed as a success by local authorities. (ANI)
- Night raids breaking back of Taliban: NYT - Jul 09, 2011
- Kandahar deputy governor killed in suicide bombing - Jan 30, 2011
- Obama administration looking for ways to isolate Karzai - Apr 08, 2010
- Karzai criticised by Kandahar elders over security and corruption - Apr 05, 2010
- 3,000 Afghans protest long-term US deal - Nov 21, 2011
- British forces hail 'Afghan Elvis' concert in Helmand - Nov 21, 2010
- Afghan president's half-brother killed by bodyguard (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2011
- Pak facilitating Afghan-Taliban secret meetings for own strategic advantage: Editorial - Nov 02, 2010
- Moderate Muslims slam Brit Islamic schools for forcing girl students to wear burka - Oct 03, 2010
- Taliban using kids as suicide bombers in Afghanistan - Jul 03, 2012
- We are lions, we want sovereignty: Karzai - Nov 16, 2011
- Extradite people involved in Rabbani's killing : Afghanistan to Pakistan - Oct 03, 2011
- Karzai wishes NATO would chase terrorists out of Afghanistan (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Taliban demands removal of leaders names from US, UN terror blacklist - Oct 30, 2010
- UAE minister meets Karzai - Jun 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,