AFC U-22: India need to be consistent against UAE in qualifiersJune 27th, 2012 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
Muscat, June 27 (IANS) The Under-22 Indian football team will have its task cut out when it faces the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in its third match of the AFC U-22 Championship 2013 qualifiers here Thursday.
Coach Arthur Papas admits the tie against UAE could be the defining match in the tournament.
“We need to maintain our consistency. We have had two very good games so far. Though the results have been different, there are so many positives which have emerged.”
“The boys have shown character and at this level you have to play with the same intensity every day. UAE are a very tough opposition. I reiterate one shouldn’t be expecting miracles. Everyone needs to be patient,” he said.
India captain Jeje Lalpeklua, who has scored against the UAE senior team in the World Cup qualifiers, is raring to go.
“I still remember Dika’s (Lalrindika Ralte) cross which was inch perfect. I just had to nod it in,” Jeje recalled with Dika on his side.
“The turf was slushy was maintaining balance was difficult. There’s a sort of telepathy between Jeje and me,” Dika quips.
Coach Papas said attention to minute details will make the difference.
“In International Matches, more often than not, the details decide the fate. Minute details such as set pieces, corners, etc. We need to be perfect,” he said.
UAE coach Baler Sadih said he has have quite a few options up his sleeve. “We look forward to the match.”
UAE have been unstoppable so far. In the first match, they beat hosts Oman 2-0 while in the second they accounted for Turkmenistan 1-0.
- First match of AFC qualifier very critical: Coach - Jun 22, 2012
- Jeje to lead India U-22 in AFC Championship qualifiers - Jun 20, 2012
- 100 percent may not get favourable result: Dika - Jul 02, 2012
- Indian U-22 soccer squad leaves for Muscat - Jun 14, 2012
- Spirited India hold UAE 2-2, but World Cup dreams over (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- World Cup qualifier: Spirited India hold UAE 2-2, but lose 2-5 in aggregate - Jul 28, 2011
- India hold UAE 1-1 in U-22 AFC Championship qualifier - Jun 29, 2012
- Do or die for India against Oman in AFC U-22 qualifier - Jul 02, 2012
- India out of AFC U-22 Championship - Jul 04, 2012
- 30-member squad announced for Maldives and Qatar friendlies - Jul 05, 2011
- India draw 1-1 with Qatar, but lose 4-2 on aggregate - Jun 23, 2011
- Four new faces in India squad for Bayern Munich game - Dec 28, 2011
- Koevermans names 37 probables for Nehru Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Chirag United held by Indian Arrows in I-League - Feb 11, 2011
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: afc, consistency, expecting miracles, fate, football team, good games, indian football, intensity, jeje, june 27, match, minute details, muscat, oman, papas, telepathy, turf, uae, united arab emirates, world cup qualifiers