AFC president Hammam comes calling to seek India voteMarch 12th, 2009 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president Mohammad Bin Hammam Thursday completed his brief visit to India to campaign for the FIFA executive committee elections in May.
Hammam arrived here Wednesday evening in his private jet with a nine-member team and was received by All Indian Football Federation (AIFF) vice-presidents Subrata Dutta and A.R. Khaleel.
Hammam then went to a city hospital to see AIFF president Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi, who is in coma after suffering a cardiac attack last year.
The AFC president also attended the official dinner hosted by the AIFF and left Thursday morning to continue his election campaign.
Hammam, a Qatari national, has held the West Asia FIFA seat since 1996, and Bahrain’s Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa had a good chance of dislodging him during the AFC Congress in May. Asia has four seats on the FIFA executive committee.
During the dinner, Hammam, who is a close ally of FIFA president Sepp Blatter, reportedly said he has 31 votes and is confident of winning.
In recent months, Hammam had come under fire for a controversial plan to shift the AFC headquarters from Malaysia. The move was criticised by, among others, FIFA vice-president Chung Mong-Joon of South Korea.
South Korea’s football body also demanded an apology from Hammam, who in a television interview reportedly insulted Korean Football Association (KFA) chief Cho Jung-Yeon by saying he was ready to “cut Cho’s head off.”
- Velappan appeals to India to unseat AFC president Hammam - Apr 08, 2009
- Zhang Jilong is interim AFC chief after bin Hammam's suspension - May 30, 2011
- Bin Hammam writes to FIFA, claims unfair treatment - Jun 01, 2011
- I have an even chance to unseat Blatter, says AFC president - Apr 14, 2011
- AFC provisionally suspends Bin Hammam - Jul 17, 2012
- Suspended AFC president Bin Hammam to appeal against FIFA decision - May 30, 2011
- Cameron to visit Zurich for last-ditch 2018 football WC bid lobbying - Nov 12, 2010
- Hammam turns to Arbitration Court after FIFA rejects appeal - Sep 16, 2011
- Bin Hammam drags FIFA president Blatter to ethics committee (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- AFC president rubbishes bribery charges, to appear before FIFA (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- FIFA president Sepp Blatter to visit India next month - Feb 13, 2012
- FIFA's Bin Hammam ban annulled - Jul 19, 2012
- AFC chief Hammam to challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency - Mar 18, 2011
- Praful Patel appointed deputy chairman of AFC competition's committee - Apr 21, 2011
- Vowing to clear name, Bin Hammam withdraws from FIFA presidential race - May 29, 2011
Tags: aiff, al khalifa, asian football confederation, cardiac attack, committee elections, controversial plan, fifa executive committee, fifa president sepp blatter, football federation, hammam, indian football, kfa, khaleel, member team, president mohammad, qatari, subrata, television interview, vice presidents, west asia