AFC extends suspension of former presidentAugust 19th, 2012 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Aug 19 (IANS) The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) announced Sunday the extension of suspension against Mohamed Bin Hammam, amid corruption charges against its former president.
The Asian football governing body said the chairman of the AFC Disciplinary Committee, Lim Kia Tong, extended the provisional suspension of Mohamed Bin Hammam by 20 days, reports Xinhua.
Bin Hammam was banned from taking part in football activities for 30 days last month, after an outside audit found that he was involved in possible corruption during his tenure as AFC president.
The 63-year-old Qatari had been banned by FIFA, the world football governing body, after he was held guilty of trying to buy votes by bribery during the FIFA presidential race last year.
Although he won an appeal against FIFA’s decision in Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) in Switzerland last month, AFC has since announced that the suspension remains valid.
Zhang Jilong, who took over AFC presidency after Bin Hammam was banned by FIFA, has written to AFC’s 46 member associations seeking their full cooperation in the investigation.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- AFC extends suspension against former president - Aug 20, 2012
- FIFA's Bin Hammam ban annulled - Jul 19, 2012
- Hammam turns to Arbitration Court after FIFA rejects appeal - Sep 16, 2011
- Zhang Jilong is interim AFC chief after bin Hammam's suspension - May 30, 2011
- Bin Hammam writes to FIFA, claims unfair treatment - Jun 01, 2011
- AFC provisionally suspends Bin Hammam - Jul 17, 2012
- Suspended AFC president Bin Hammam to appeal against FIFA decision - May 30, 2011
- Jack Warner warns of more fallout from FIFA bribery scandal - Jul 26, 2011
- FIFA scandal: Caribbean members given 48 hours to reply or face sanctions - Jul 27, 2011
- Bin Hammam drags FIFA president Blatter to ethics committee (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- AFC president rubbishes bribery charges, to appear before FIFA (Lead) - May 26, 2011
- AFC chief Hammam may challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency - Mar 11, 2011
- Vowing to clear name, Bin Hammam withdraws from FIFA presidential race - May 29, 2011
- AFC president Hammam faces charges of bribery in FIFA - May 25, 2011
- Caribbean to come under FIFA microscope - Jul 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,