AFC chief against Qatar hosting 2022 World Cup jointly with other Gulf nationsJanuary 15th, 2011 - 7:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Jan 15(ANI): Asian Football Confederation (AFC) President Mohamed Bin Hammam, who could succeed FIFA President Sepp Blatter in May, has countered suggestions that matches of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar should be shared around the Gulf.
Doha-born Hammam also rounded on suggestions from Europe that the competition should be moved from summer to winter to avoid extreme desert temperatures.
“I believe Qatar can stand alone and organize the competition by itself,” Sky News quoted Hammam, as saying.
“And I’m really not very impressed by these opinions to distribute the game over the Gulf or change the time from July to January - it’s actually premature, you know, it’s people’s opinions and they’re just discussing it on no basis or no ground,” he added.
Concerns have been expressed around the ability of tiny Qatar to host such a mammoth sporting event, particularly during its summer when temperatures can reach 50 degrees Celsius (122 degrees Fahrenheit). (ANI)
- Blatter says 2022 World Cup in Qatar is settled for summer - Feb 08, 2011
- AFC chief Hammam may challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency - Mar 11, 2011
- Platini backs winter 2022 football World Cup in Qatar - Dec 13, 2010
- AFC chief Hammam to challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency - Mar 18, 2011
- Bin Hammam asks FIA Code and Ethics committee to investigate Blatter - May 27, 2011
- FIFA boss Sepp Blatter sorry for 'gay' remarks - Dec 18, 2010
- Bin Hammam writes to FIFA, claims unfair treatment - Jun 01, 2011
- Bin Hammam drags FIFA president Blatter to ethics committee (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Zhang Jilong is interim AFC chief after bin Hammam's suspension - May 30, 2011
- AFC provisionally suspends Bin Hammam - Jul 17, 2012
- FIFA's Bin Hammam ban annulled - Jul 19, 2012
- Vowing to clear name, Bin Hammam withdraws from FIFA presidential race - May 29, 2011
- FIFA likely to give go-ahead to proposed goal-line technology - Feb 18, 2011
- Suspended AFC president Bin Hammam to appeal against FIFA decision - May 30, 2011
- Qatar makes pitch for FIFA World Cup in the desert - Sep 15, 2010