AFC Challenge Cup: India end campaign with 0-4 loss to North KoreaMarch 13th, 2012 - 7:40 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, March 13 (IANS) India ended their disappointing campaign in the AFC Challenge Cup with a 0-4 loss to North Korea in their last league match at the Dashrath Stadium here Tuesday.
North Korea, who won all their three matches, top Group B and move into the semis with nine points.
Even prior to the kick-off, North Korea stayed overwhelming favourites. Leave aside their superior FIFA ranking, they boasted of seven players that featured in the 2010 World Cup.
Korea never allowed India to settle down. The midfield couldn’t match the rival’s pace and defensive lapses cost India dear. The only chance for India came in the 39th minute but skipper Sunil Chhetri’s left-footer, after being fed by Francis Fernandes, missed the target.
Korea surged ahead as early as the fourth minute when Jon Kwang Ik capitalised on a defensive lapse to slot home. Ri Kwang Hyok doubled the lead in the 34th minute.
Changing over, the story didn’t change. Coach Savio Medeira did introduce fresh legs but even that didn’t help. Pak Nam Chol and Ri Chol Myong completed the rout in the 58th and 70th minute.
In another match, Philippines defeated Tajikistan (2-1) and qualified for the semis as the second team from Group B.
- AFC Challenge Cup: Tajikistan beat India 2-0 - Mar 09, 2012
- Defensive lapses cost us the game: Medeira - Feb 24, 2012
- AFC Challenge Cup: India enjoy psychological advantage against Tajikistan - Mar 08, 2012
- Medeira blasts referee for denying penalty to India - Dec 03, 2011
- India leave for AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 04, 2012
- North Korean World Cup team home to uncertain future - Jun 27, 2010
- AFC Challenge Cup: India set for Philippines Challenge - Mar 10, 2012
- Arnab, Clifford ruled out from AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 02, 2012
- Savio Mediera: India need to look forward - Mar 12, 2012
- Climax was rested, not dropped: Savio - Feb 01, 2012
- Portugal run riot over North Korea for first win (Lead) - Jun 21, 2010
- Confident of a good show in AFC Challenge Cup: Medeira - Mar 07, 2012
- SAFF under-16: India beat Nepal in semis, face Pakistan in final - Aug 08, 2011
- Sunil Chettri to lead India in AFC Challenge Cup - Mar 05, 2012
- SAFF Cup: India coach rejects favourites tag - Dec 01, 2011
Tags: 2010 world cup, afc challenge cup, chol, defensive lapse, defensive lapses, fernandes, fifa ranking, footer, kathmandu, legs, match, midfield, north korea, pak nam, philippines, rout, semis, skipper, target, world cup korea