Advani leads the field in pre-quarters of invitational snookerSeptember 18th, 2008 - 10:30 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 18 (IANS) World champion Pankaj Advani completed his league engagements with a flourish and led the field into the pre-quarter-finals in the Alliance Group-ASCA invitational snooker tournament, here Thursday.Advani posted breaks of 44 in the second and 64 in the third while dismantling local challenger M.C. Manoj 3-0 for his third win in the four-player Group A. Manoj, with two wins and a defeat still made it to the knock-out phase that commences Friday.
Also through to the round of 16 were Manan Chandra and Prem Prakash (Group B), Alok Kumar and Shahbaz Adil Khan (Group D), Rupesh Shah and Faisal Khan (Group E), Geet Sethi (Group G) and Devendra Joshi and Rishab Pandya (Group H).
Sethi put in breaks of 35 and 41 to overturn a 1-2 deficit and win 3-2 against Manish Jain to confirm his progress to the next round.
Earlier, local challenger Antim Singhi posted the tournament’s second century break with a 102, but failed to avoid defeat against Manan Chandra who came through 3-2 in a Group B match.
Chandra jumped to a 2-0 lead, but the match turned on its head in the third frame when the India No.3 missed the final pink which he left in the jaw of the pocket for Singhi to clear the table to make it 1-2.
Singhi, growing in confidence, went for his shots and cashed in on a good opening to compile a 102 with the help of nine blacks, two pinks, four blues and yellow-to-pink clearance to draw level at 2-2.
However, in the decider, Chandra opened with a run of 53 to take the fifth frame and the match.
Late Wednesday night, Devendra Joshi came up with the tournament’s highest break of 131 clearance in winning 3-2 against Neeraj Kumar who had begun well with a 60 break in the first frame but failed to reproduce the form.
Joshi, better known for his billiards, knocked in eight blacks, four pinks, two blues and the colours in the course of his century break.
Group A: Pankaj Advani bt M.C. Manoj 3-0.
Group B: Manan Chandra bt Antim Singhi 3-2; Manan Chandra bt Pushparaj 3-1.
Group D: Alok Kumar bt R. Loganathan 3-0; Shahbaz Adil Khan bt M.S. Arun 3-0
Group E: Rupesh Shah bt Faisal Khan 3-1.
Group G: Manish Jain bt Vijay Nichani 3-1; Geet Sethi bt Manish Jain 3-2.
Group H: Devendra Joshi bt Neeraj Kumar 3-2; Devendra Joshi bt Rishab Pandya 3-2
- Mehta sparkles with 134 break at National snooker - Jan 31, 2012
- Sethi, Advani, Alok advance in senior national billiards - Jul 28, 2011
- Chopra joins centurions list in National Snooker - Feb 01, 2012
- Advani survives scare in National Snooker Championship - Jan 30, 2012
- Easy win for Alok Kumar in national snooker - Aug 05, 2011
- Advani leads way into pre-quarters of National Snooker - Feb 02, 2012
- Saengkham sizzles en route to last 16 - Jun 20, 2012
- Meenal, Arantxa in National Billiards Final - Jan 25, 2012
- National Snooker: All qualifiers make knock-out stage (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- India to host 2013 world professional snooker meet - May 04, 2012
- Billiards: Pankaj Advani to meet Geet Sethi in semi-final (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Renthlei wins maiden snooker title for Mizoram - Jul 27, 2011
- Alok through to pre-quarters of All India Snooker - Jan 20, 2010
- Venkatesham eliminates Alok in senior national billiards - Jul 29, 2011
- Mehta eases into semis of National Snooker Championship - Feb 03, 2012